Post Likes

Chilled water cooled ice machine vs air cooled

I am doing an audit of a kitchen area and am trying to determine the utility savings of changing an air cooled ice machine to a water cooled. We have 44 degree chilled water in close proximity. I cant seem to find any hard numbers on how much cheaper a CHILLED water cooled unit is. Only that the water cooled are more efficient.

The air cooled unit puts out 20,000 BTU to the space. So just going by the cost to cool 20,000 btu i come up with 1.6 kwh from our plant. i think the only savings is in eliminating the fan on the air cooled, but that only uses 1.8 kwh, assuming it runs non stop for an hour.

Does a compressor on a water cooled unit typically use less energy than on an air cooled unit also?

I'm not concerned with the installation costs. This venue is being rehabed with capital money AKA not our money.

Any help appreciated.

Post Likes
    Result 0
    Instead of the A/C getting rid of the heat the chiller has to.
    Either way energy usage.
    Remote air cooled is different.

Post Likes
    I thought plant cooling was cheaper? We are at . 7 KW/ton. What is a typical air-cooled ice machine at?