Post Likes

WTH is this theory?

Ok 50 years or so and this is a new one for sure. People were not getting enough cooling mostly to additions with one 6" round. Anyway checking the rest of the house they showed me these things with the registers off.

Now the first thing is that around here there were a number of homes that used rounds that were sized around 4" but they terminated in regular boots. If I recall they were more like an in-between 3" and 4". Everything else was like your typical system with the exception of the small runs.

THIS is what they had in all of the rooms of the original house. The boots were obviously manufactured and not some crazy notion done on the job. From the attic they come down with 4" into and through the top of the boot. This 4" round ends a couple inches below the top register. Now from what I saw, the original registers could not be opened or closed. Also the thing was almost acting like a venturi drawing in hot air at the ceiling and mixing it with the already tepid supply running through a hot attic. Needless to say air flow out the bottom even with the top blocked off with cardboard.

Just for fun I unscrewed that short damper section and blocked the bottom of the top boot with a scrap of metal to throw all the cooling out at the ceiling. Told them to let me know if it helped and we would go from there. Anyone know the logic behind this mess?

It's about the oddest forced air I have seen since the forced air radiant heat I ran into in a slab once. Yes. No heat came into rooms through registers. Imagine hot water radiant using 6 inch round forced air.
    [IMG]register by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Likes
    That is called high low registers. You close the bottom for cooling and close the top and open bottom for heat. Cooling from above heating from below. I roughed in alot of town houses in the 90s with them. The suck. Works like shit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave sulz View Post
    That is called high low registers. You close the bottom for cooling and close the top and open bottom for heat. Cooling from above heating from below. I roughed in alot of town houses in the 90s with them. The suck. Works like shit.
    Yeah that's the only thing I could think of but even when I closed off the bottom 6x12 the stupid thing did not have the guts to move anything out the top until I pulled the damper section (which they will never in a million years close) and blocked the top just below the boot. They got every low opening blocked with furniture anyway.

Were you using this screwy round that was like between 3 and 4 inch round? If I remember right I had to tie one in once that came apart and it was not quite the same diameter as 4" round.

btw this is circa 50's I believe.

Post Likes
    We used oval pipe w/a hi love stack head on top I always use a 45 on top to connect flex and oval in the wall to the stack head on bottom. No one opens and closes.

Post Likes
    This is a "blend air" setup produced by the Coleman company. 3 1/2" ducts, quite a few installed in these parts as the company is based in Wichita. Most have been replaced as they will not work well for cooling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    This is a "blend air" setup produced by the Coleman company. 3 1/2" ducts, quite a few installed in these parts as the company is based in Wichita. Most have been replaced as they will not work well for cooling.
    ^^^^^^^^ X2

They were designed to use the hot air off the furnace to pull in, blend, room air with it so the air was not as hot at the register making the house more comfortable and giving more volume of air out of the register. I have never seen them in the ceiling, always as baseboard registers.

Post Likes
    IIRC there was/is a system called SPACE PAK that used really small ducts. I only saw them advertised in Contracting Business & Snips & never actually saw one except at one of the big trade shows.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    We had Blend Aire, but not the hi/low ductwork.
    B.A. was a HIGH STATIC system. If you replaced it with a regular system, you were screwed....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM