Post Likes

Intermittent leak

Every few months a customer has some water damage in a few locations in their ceiling drywall. Climate is dry high desert with occasional heavy rain. Renovation a few years ago, with some roof leaks, may be some left. One spot Iíve been told to focus on Iíve cut into the drywall and the top insulation looks dry, no leaks when I run water from nearby bathroom but there are two pipes with couplings attached to radiant system. Iíve cycled the boiler on and off for that zone, no leaks now. Supply piping travels through unconditioned space and has no insulation. Customer wants immediate results but source is tough to verify, Iíll probably go on roof with hose later. Could insulating the exposed pipe minimize condensation if that is an issue after months of boiler being off then cycled on? I presume some insulation on the supplies in the conditioned space could help too if this were the cause but getting access is unlikely, any thoughts are appreciated thanks

Post Likes
    My thoughts are; due to the intermittent humidity changes, condensation is most likely your culprit. You should insulate the supply and return lines, as much as possible. The boiler is in operation intermittently, right. Well, as the water in the line cools, there is a temperature delta that will (and most likely is) reacting to temperature differential.

Post Likes
    A thermal camera may help identify some cold spots too, just a thought

Post Likes
    All piping should be insulated with fiberglass unless you like crispy rubber. Put the heat where it belongs not into attic. Is the leak just discoloring the drywall or a actual hole being formed?

Post Likes
    Leak made paper warp on drywall, I believe the water travelled the outside of the copper and dispersed at the coupling onto the drywall, so could be condensation, roof leak or? Facility manager said to insulate whatís exposed and patch the hole, so I guess Iíll deal with when it happens again