Post Likes

Tridium JEC JACE SRAM backup

Have a question about Station backups if no battery is installed, and the DataRecovery Service is also not installed.

This is an extension of an earlier post from 2016:
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...JACE-Batteries

So the JACE version is 3.8.38 and Vykon. The DataRecovery service is not installed and maybe not licensed on this station. Somehow, Data Recovery files are still being saved in the File Transfer Client and they eat up the available RAM quickly.

Since the service isn't installed, I'm not sure how the .drb files are even getting to the DataRecovery directory of the station. This may have been covered already but I couldn't bring anything like it up in the search.

Post Likes
    DR service isn't a licensed option. Update it to the latest 3.8 version and it should stop filling the filesystem.

Wouldn't be good to have both DR off and no battery. Just a matter of time before it gets bricked on a power cycle.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Well I learned that the DataRecovery service is loaded on the station and not the Platform, so there is that mystery solved. I think I'll go the battery route because they have a good amount of power hits, and upgrade it at the same time.

Just to understand, if there are valid DataRecovery files saved in the station, as long as the JACE can access one of them even if power was cycled it should still boot up, right?

Post Likes
    Should reboot fine. Battery is my preferred for reasons mentioned a handful of times here. J2/6 both seem to fail more often with DR than battery and it most cases it seems to be file corruption rather than a hardware issue. Hopefully they have fixed this in the J8, time will tell.

Post Likes
    orion242,
    appreciate the quick replies. I bought and installed a battery, this unit never had one to start with.
    Last two things I'll bug you with; how long should it take to charge a new batt? I see a countdown starting at 7 hours in the PowerService and it says "No" to the Battery good choice so far. Can't find exact timing in the docs, just mention of "trickle charge."

Working on getting the upgrade from channel- in the meantime, I notice all the choices in the DataRecovery service screen are non-editable. The persistent storage capacity is 7495KB, and it should take about 4-5 hours to reach that at 105KB a save and 3 recovery blocks going. I'm guessing the JACE locks up when it fails to flush the old .drb files?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controls21 View Post
    how long should it take to charge a new batt? I see a countdown starting at 7 hours in the PowerService and it says "No" to the Battery good choice so far.
    Ignore this for a day or two. Off memory it only tests the batt every 24hr, so even a fully charged batt will report as crap on the initial install. If you really want to test, pull power for a sec and see if it stays up.

Quote Originally Posted by controls21 View Post
    I'm guessing the JACE locks up when it fails to flush the old .drb files?
    It craps out when these hog up all the file space. The problem from early releases with DR revolved around that service creating tons of these files, filling up the filesystem. Once that happened the Jace would end up in a reboot loop. Sometimes this could be quite a headache to deal with as they would only be alive and reachable for a few min at best. Worst cases required either stopping the station (assuming you could connect to platform) and removing the DR crap or serial shell enable FTP and deleting them before the stupid thing would reboot again and you started over. The DR service seems to be solid now, but all the early versions 3.7/3.8 had problems to some degree. If you have 3.8.10x, that will fix it. If your going to update it anyway, go to 3.8.405 and get the latest security patches as well. I'm positive the version you have has issues with DR. Some units never seemed to have the issue, others would fill the filesystem within days.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the info. I don't get to install the most Niagara but work on it a ton. They come out with patches at breakneck speed sometimes. I guess my only trouble with the software is for all the great things it does, all the fixes are more software. I stopped by the site and the battery is Good now so that's a relief. The strangest thing is the JACE was configured this way for years, and only recently started to fill the file system. I see now that the queue is supposed to flush itself when the limit is reached, but it just keeps eating up the filesystem.

Appreciate the help orion242, it's a luxury to have Tridium gurus on the forum.