+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WhAt gas valve is this ?

Post Likes

WhAt gas valve is this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Notice the little tag that says "millivolt only"? That's a clue. Those kind are usually only found on really old systems such as gravity furnaces and gravity boilers. They are powered by a "thermopyle", which is type of flame rod that produces a small amount of electricity when heated up by the pilot flame.

Do you have a wider shot that shows the ancient beast that this thing is installed in?

Edit... After looking at it again I see that modern looking warning lable underneath it, so I guess they are used in newer stuff than I thought. I'm guessing fireplace? I guess that would make sense since this is the fireplace forum. I must have missed that part.

Anyways, it is a millivolt gas valve. Cant tell what make or size or model number from the pic that I see.

Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Looks like a floor/wall heater. They arent only found in very old systems. Empire still makes units with these as does Cozy. Probably a few others too.

It's an older style millivolt gas valve that uses a jumper to power the pilot valve from external terminals. Most newer valves use internal connections to prove the flame voltage.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Yeah that’s what I figured but thought I could be mistaken... as for what it’s in it’s in a fireplace. A montigo econoplus 28c I believe... I’ll get an exact model number tomorrow when I’m servicing more. It seems that these particular units are sooting up quite a bit. It’s a decorative fireplace, so it’s not designed to be used as a heating source. HOWEVER since strata pays for the gas in this condo, of course homeowners are going to run it to the ground. Wouldn’t be surprised if they run it all the time they are awake... typically when it’s sooting I would look at improper log placement and primary air and open up the primary air a touch if there was sooting, but in this case there is no primary air opening. I’ll attach a pic of of the logs and the sooting. I’m going to look into the manual tonight and see if there’s something amiss. Thanks for the input boys!

Ps these units were installed mid 90s so the gas valve is more than likely that old.

Post Likes
    I dont think the gas valve is the problem looking at that, unless it cant be adjusted. it looks like a lack of combustion air and flame impingement. maybe a cleanliness issue, too
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    There’s no flame impingement other than the way it’s been designed . As for combustion air, there is actually no sealed glass. It should have enough to get proper combustion. It may be a cleanliness issue over time it gets dirtier which compounds the issue. It’s a simple burner setup. I’ll take one apart tomorrow.

Post Likes
    it doesnt have to be sealed to have an air problem. maybe the entire house is negative.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Black soot is an indication of improper combustion, too rich basically.

Why do you ask about the valve?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Hmm. True enough. They do have a 4” whisper grill to the outside not far from. I assumed it was for baseboard heaters but could be for the fireplace as well. Wouldn’t doubt the homeowner is keeping it closed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Black soot is an indication of improper combustion, too rich basically.

Why do you ask about the valve?
    I was asking more so just out of curiousity. I knew it was a millivolt valve but wasn’t sure the specific name. If it had one.

Post Likes
    For anyone that’s interested I took out the burner to see if there was an air adjustment I could change but there wasn’t. I contacted tech support and they suggested to keep the doors open when running. In older buildings (such as the one im in ) the flame can roll out onto the back of the log when there isn’t enough combustion air.

Post Likes
    Told ya, and that's not an approved nor a safe fix.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Yeah thanks for the input . I agree that having the doors open isn’t a safe or approved fix. Id suggest that they open the 4” whisper grill before I’d recommend that. In fact the whisper grill is only in the suites that are that specific fireplace.

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is a barometric damper just for natural draft heating systems. Skuttle makes it. A hole has to be made to the outdoors and a 4 or 6 inch duct has to run to the unit.

Post Likes
    Looks like an old Honeywell or White Rogers. We see a lot of older fireplaces with those.

Post Likes
    It's a White Rodgers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Notice the little tag that says "millivolt only"? That's a clue. Those kind are usually only found on really old systems such as gravity furnaces and gravity boilers. They are powered by a "thermopyle", which is type of flame rod that produces a small amount of electricity when heated up by the pilot flame.

Do you have a wider shot that shows the ancient beast that this thing is installed in?

Edit... After looking at it again I see that modern looking warning lable underneath it, so I guess they are used in newer stuff than I thought. I'm guessing fireplace? I guess that would make sense since this is the fireplace forum. I must have missed that part.

Anyways, it is a millivolt gas valve. Cant tell what make or size or model number from the pic that I see.

Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Looks like a floor/wall heater. They arent only found in very old systems. Empire still makes units with these as does Cozy. Probably a few others too.

It's an older style millivolt gas valve that uses a jumper to power the pilot valve from external terminals. Most newer valves use internal connections to prove the flame voltage.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I dont think the gas valve is the problem looking at that, unless it cant be adjusted. it looks like a lack of combustion air and flame impingement. maybe a cleanliness issue, too

Post Likes
    Told ya, and that's not an approved nor a safe fix.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in