Post Likes

Rust on residential fridge

We have a run of the mill side by side Frigidaire at our summer home. It's maybe 6 or 7 years old. Was up there over the weekend and noticed a water leak. Drain line nipple was frozen. While investigating, I noticed a rust spot on the galvanized panel that covers the back of the unit. It doesn't look serviceable. Am I correct in assuming the suction line must either be touching the pack panel, or at least enough ice has built up on the line to cause the rust? Is their a way to service this without destroying the cabinet shell? Assuming the insulation is compromised and it will get worse before it gets better. My biggest concern is having rusty condensate drip onto the wood floors. If the cabinet is not serviceable, you guys think some insulation tape across the back of the panel would solve the rusty condensate issue.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I would cut out a section of the rear panel to see what's going on in there. Maybe 15" square or so. Then respond appropriately to whatever I find under the panel. And afterwards foil tape a 24" square of foil-faced polyiso board over the opening.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    We have a run of the mill side by side Frigidaire at our summer home. It's maybe 6 or 7 years old. Was up there over the weekend and noticed a water leak. Drain line nipple was frozen. While investigating, I noticed a rust spot on the galvanized panel that covers the back of the unit. It doesn't look serviceable. Am I correct in assuming the suction line must either be touching the pack panel, or at least enough ice has built up on the line to cause the rust? Is their a way to service this without destroying the cabinet shell? Assuming the insulation is compromised and it will get worse before it gets better. My biggest concern is having rusty condensate drip onto the wood floors. If the cabinet is not serviceable, you guys think some insulation tape across the back of the panel would solve the rusty condensate issue.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Just buy a new summer home. Once the fridge starts to go everything else is about to start failing, too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    about every 7 years the fridge at the beach house begins to show dots of rust. It forms from the inside of the outer skin. Gotta love salt air. Get a new one!

Post Likes
    Fixing the freeze up problem will probably correct it. For extra insurance sand the rust off and hit it with a healthy dose of no sweat spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    finally, a good use for FlexSeal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Fixing the freeze up problem will probably correct it. For extra insurance sand the rust off and hit it with a healthy dose of no sweat spray.

Anti-perspirant spray?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Anti-perspirant spray?

Right Guard
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    🤨

Post Likes
    If you have the model number you can look it up at sears parts direct and look at the breakdown it may give you a better idea how the lines run

Post Likes
    I don't think I would cut into the back, as you could cut wiring or ref lines. Sandpaper a little, spray a little paint on it. Then glue a little foam patch over it so it won't sweat.