Post Likes

Visio Project Template

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. In Visio, is there a template for the base Project/Architect /Job Name area in the bottom right of the a typical set of prints built into Visio already? I cannot seem to find one, but I may not be looking in the correct place. I am using Distech Controls controllers, and heard they have some Visio objects on their website I need to get access to yet. I am using their XpressGfx Points ( sorry for the mispelling or wrong name) to create my points list, which works extremely well, but this does not produce the base template for a project. I have tried searching the forums for this and could not find anything, which is why I started assuming that it as already builtin to Visio 2010 and I was looking in the wrong spot.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post Likes
    I do not believe anything premade for a title block exists. I have always had to create or reuse one.

Post Likes
    Create one with your company info in it, design to suit you, save as template.
    "There is plenty of room at the top because very few people care to travel beyond the average route. And so most of us seem satisfied to remain within the confines of mediocrity." -- Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe, first president of Nigeria

"It's not the customer's job to know what they want." -- Steve Jobs

Post Likes
    As the others stated make your own. You can do all types of cool stuff like make the inherit page title from Visio page name, have Page of Pages automated (that way if you add or reorder pages this will reflect that), have the file path embedded etc. etc.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Thanks Kontrolphreak, I will have to do my homework on excel and Visio a bit to get there but it seems well worth it to automate and simplify some of that stuff like you say.

Post Likes
    I have been unsuccessful in getting Excel to function with the latest version of Vision as a link. Was a very frustrating experience. I believe 2007 is the last version of Vision that supported the link to an external Excel file, now it is a security violation. Imagine that, two Microsft products not co-exiating. It like the early days of BACnet. The other stuff I mentioned are all functions of Vision.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    ?

Current version of Visio for Ofice365 supports this.

Insert - Object - MS Excel spreadsheet or from file.

Note that any special characters in the file names or path can really dicker up the drawing.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Inserting the entire Excel is not what I used to do, just a image of it in the drawings and when you clicked on it, it opened the external Excel file which could be saved and edited outside of the drawing. That way I could have one Excel file for the entire Visio file (drawings) with multiple pages in the Excel (TOC, Individual drawing data and BOM, project BOM, project valve and damper data, controller network data, etc.). If a change was made in Excel the data updated in the Visio image. The only thing I can see to do know is individual Excel files for waxh and every table you want to "embed" in your Visio file. A real PITA.

Maybe they changed the method to achieve this (it used to be Paste Special -> Link ), I'll try your method and see if it does what I am wanting, thanks for the suggestion.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

Post Likes
    Gotcha. Not sue if that works like that. Gave up embedding excel into it many years ago. I had way too many issues with it. Paste special, picture...done. Someone moves the files around, drawing still works.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/