Post Likes

How do I determine what size txv is needed for a unit?

How do you go about choosing the replacement txv for a ac unit? I know there are txvs that say 5 tons, do i buy a valve rated for the same tonnage of the unit im servicing?

I have the same question for compressors, could i use any brand compressor of the same type? For example swapping out a bad random brand 5 ton scroll comp with a copeland scroll comp of the same tonnage?

Do I absolutely need to use OEM parts?

Post Likes
    you don't absolutely need to, but if you're doing commercial work, sometimes the OEM replacement is the best choice.

match valve capacity, head with correct refrigerant, and pipe sizes. sometimes OEM equipment manufacturers contract sporlan, Danfoss, etc. to make TXV's to fit their specific needs.....in those cases, an OEM part might be your best option.

same goes for compressors.

Post Likes
    so if the unit is rated for 30 tons I will need a 30 ton txv? which specs do I follow?

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    you don't absolutely need to, but if you're doing commercial work, sometimes the OEM replacement is the best choice.

match valve capacity, head with correct refrigerant, and pipe sizes. sometimes OEM equipment manufacturers contract sporlan, Danfoss, etc. to make TXV's to fit their specific needs.....in those cases, an OEM part might be your best option.

same goes for compressors.

Post Likes
    basically, yes. any sporlan or Danfoss dealer can help you with that.

you have enough posts, apply for PRO status. we can have in depth discussions and provide documents that can help you on that side of the board.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Capacitor View Post
    so if the unit is rated for 30 tons I will need a 30 ton txv? which specs do I follow?
    if the unit has a 30 ton capacity you need a txv CAPABLE of 30 tons. You likely wont get a txv with single rating. It'll be similar to 25-30 or 28-32, etc.

on a compressor you need to verify the use (high, med, low temp) and the pumping capacity/volume, plus the electrical specs and oil needs. Be aware also that mounting feet and pipe ports may not match up with non-OEM parts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Capacitor View Post
    I say NO to a 30T TXV is the one and only valve to use on a 30T system.There are several other factors involved in properly sizing a TXV.

Post Likes
    there is a lot more to it than tonnage. sporlan lays it out like this.
    step 1-determin pressure drop across valve.
    step 2 - determine liquid temp of entering refrigerant.
    step 3 - select valve from capacity table
    step 4 - determine if external equalizer is required
    step 5 - select body type
    step 6 - select thermostatic chargehttps://www.parker.com/literature/Sp...20010/10-9.pdf