Post Likes

Varitrane VAV retrofit kits

I sent a quote to rebuild the older style Varitrane VAVs (threaded rod, back plate, end switches, etc.) and the customer requested to also have a quote sent in for a retro fit. I called Trane to see if they knew of any retrofit kits and they stated they do. They were supposed to forward me an invoice with the part info but haven't received it. Are you guys familiar with what these kits consist of and how they're installed? I've repaired countless amounts of the older style VAVs with no issue and have never come across the retro fit kits. I tried to do a search and got some results from around 2007. Not sure how related those results are to today.

Post Likes
    Done it two ways.

Pull out the whole factory assembly, just a few bolts off memory. Have a tin knocker make a retro that is simply a starter collar with a round damper that is external of the box & a new flow pickup.

Second way we have done it is with a third party solution that does basically the same, but a bit more polished. You just order them based on inlet size and they ship something that will bolt right on. Its been years since I dealt with them so I don't recall who it was. Think they are discussed here somewhere.

In both cases you will need to dink with the inlet duct and cut it back to fit these in.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Why don't you go with a vfd. Easier for you, customer might save on energy bill...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by patpinet View Post
    Why don't you go with a vfd. Easier for you, customer might save on energy bill...
    Because the boxes are screwed. The damper design was crap out of the gate and as soon as Trane stopped offering parts your SOL. Your stuck with full box replacement or retro solution which Trane doesn't offer anymore.

Post Likes
    So they don’t offer retrofits? Guess I’ll have to stop by there and get clarification on what they were taking about.

Post Likes
    They either were not available or they were insanely expensive making other methods far more attractive. Its been at least 5yrs since I had deal with a batch of these.

Post Likes

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Have done hundreds of these over the years. Our approach has always been gut the internals, and add new VAV box in front of the trane box. Its about the only way and works well like others have said.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    I sent a quote to rebuild the older style Varitrane VAVs (threaded rod, back plate, end switches, etc.) and the customer requested to also have a quote sent in for a retro fit. I called Trane to see if they knew of any retrofit kits and they stated they do. They were supposed to forward me an invoice with the part info but haven't received it. Are you guys familiar with what these kits consist of and how they're installed? I've repaired countless amounts of the older style VAVs with no issue and have never come across the retro fit kits. I tried to do a search and got some results from around 2007. Not sure how related those results are to today.
    I do retrofits all the time on old Trane boxes. I've used the Titus option listed above, but for the price the Jackson Systems offering has been the best bet. I've had to have several overnighted to me and they had them on the shelf to ship out that day.

https://jacksonsystems.com/products/...-terminal.html

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone, the info helped out. I heard back from jackson systems and titus, still waiting to hear back from trane. I plan on utilizing the existing controls, so damper/actuator is all I really need. This customer has over 100 of these style VAVs in their buildings, so as long as I'm taking care of their stuff, I imagine I'll be doing a lot of these in the near future since that's the route they want to go. Clearance issues will probably be my biggest battle when doing these. We'll see how these go

Post Likes
    We have several Backplates in stock. PLT03307 and many others.