Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    If the TAN number comes back within reason then it was heat. Mineral oil is a hydrocarbon and High temps decompose the carbon out as, essentially; soot.

Pull a head and see what the valves look like.

If you went back with a POE compressor you should Treat It Like A Burn-Out and add a suction filter can to keep all the crap and yak out of the new compressor oil.

How were the start-up numbers?

Especially suction and discharge superheats?

What is the application?

High compression ratio by any chance?

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    Changed a 6D3PR35 other day and while the failure was top end damage- no pump- most likely due to flooded starts as cch was not operating I noted in the sight glass how discolored the oil was. Oh was I right. What would cause the oil to turn black like that? I've seen the dingy yellow but never pitch black even with sever motor burn. This wasn't even a motor burn and I realize no pump=no motor cooling=oil overheating but the oil failure switch or MP would shut it off. This was my first time at this place so I cannot speak of its history. See pic- oil blacker than the cap. Attachment 802884
    Was R22/min oil AC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Ok so that explains why I've only seen (on copes) with the 3D's the solenoid is DE-energized to unload- unlike other copes that is.

"It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    Ever try R-453 ?

PHM
    -------

What's the alternative? All the other 22 replacements are just as goofy- some more so than others.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Never heard of it actually. I hear guys using that MO99 (forget R number) a lot in places they shouldn't as it came right from chemours rep that it was only for under 5 tons

"It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

Post Likes
    Never heard of it actually. I hear guys using that MO99 (forget R number) a lot in places they shouldn't as it came right from chemours rep that it was only for under 5 tons

MO-99 is a high temp R-22 replacement. Supposedly no oil checked needed.
    I use it on A/C

Comp Tons doesn’t matter.

Post Likes
    Ive never used I just know the Chemours guy said it was for under 5 tons?

Post Likes
    I stressed the urgency to the people but facilities leads/head maintenance/bean counter/janitors don't quite get it. But yes piping in a suction shell along with repeat visits for cleanup oil/filter drier changes was all part of it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123