Post Likes

Walkin freezer bypass t-stat

Would there be any harm doing this ?

I can't think of any....besides really hard ice cream

Post Likes
    Shortening the life of the compressor with it constantly running except during defrost.

Post Likes
    While you go get a replacement tstat no... to leave it that way yes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Oi! Rodgers View Post
    Shortening the life of the compressor with it constantly running except during defrost.
    Can you explain how that will happen. A properly sized and set up unit can run continues!

@Snapperhead If your worried about running too cold operate off the pressure control!

Post Likes
    Done it many times on the weekend not sure how it would affect the compressor negatively first I’ve heard of that.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Can you explain how that will happen. A properly sized and set up unit can run continues!

@Snapperhead If your worried about running too cold operate off the pressure control!
    Yes, but you are basically suggesting using the pressure control as a tstat, which would work on a rack, but on a single system the compressor would short cycle once at set point.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Done it many times on the weekend not sure how it would affect the compressor negatively first I’ve heard of that.
    Short term, no problem. Especially when starting when starting with a warm box. You would also be ok if the equipment was under-sized.

However long term on a properly sized system you would either be short cycling on the pressure control, or running at or over the compressor envelope edge.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    Yes, but you are basically suggesting using the pressure control as a tstat, which would work on a rack, but on a single system the compressor would short cycle once at set point.
    No it wont.

If the cut in is above the SST of the high event it will wait. Granted it may slug some liquid but its only temporary.

Ive used pressure controls for years as t-stats!

Post Likes
    For short times while awaiting replacement I see no significant problems. The low pressure control is a bst practice if available.

As a permanent fix it would waste electricity from excessive runs times and higher power draw due to increased compression ratio.

That would also cause higher discharge gas temperatures which could cook the oil leading to compressor damage.

Oil return would be affected as well as oil logging in the evaporator would be more likely and riser return less effective at very low evaporator temperatures.

Very low temperatures can cause frost buildup problems, especially for retail display or cook line freezers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    No it wont.

If the cut in is above the SST of the high event it will wait. Granted it may slug some liquid but its only temporary.

Ive used pressure controls for years as t-stats!
    If you raise the differential on the LPC control enough on LT to eliminate short cycling, you open up other problems, like potential flood back as you allude to. I agree it is something that won't always cause problems, which is why it's ok to leave short term, but there are reasons they are pump down systems and why open up the possibility of compressor problems? Because the customer is too cheap for a tstat?

Post Likes
    Gotta customer hour from me insists on me fix in his stuff , his unit wouldn't kick on , and it's LPS operated, but I can't get out there yet so I had him tie the wires and it came on