Thread: RTU Repair

Post Likes

RTU Repair

Went to class this morning and was promptly informed we were going on a field trip! So we all loaded up and went to one of the schools newer buildings at another campus to observe/assist in repairing a cracked refrigerant line on a large RTU. Below are some pictures of our day.

The maintenance guy said he wanted to use the zoomlock instead of brazing the repair, so that is what we did. It is a nice tool but very pricey according to him.

We got it all hooked up and pressure tested without any issues. The guy only had one vacuum pump so we hooked it up and departed because it was going to take a very long time. BTW, we also refilled the oil on the two compressors on the affected side of the unit because they had lost a significant amount from the leak.

If you look at the section we cut out, you can see a V shaped crack in the line. This is where the line was in contact with the frame of the unit and held down with a clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Likes
    Some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    White shirt didn't get dirty at all...he's either the teacher or a salesman in training. Looks like black shirt and red shirt did all the work. Nice job.

Why did the tubing crack?

Post Likes
    you should change that ring to something silicone based, and non-conductive.

Post Likes
    Better yet, no jewelry while working.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Better yet, no jewelry while working.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    BINGO

and get a torch!

Post Likes
    another person who is afraid of change? i love my zoomlock but still have my torches as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    White shirt didn't get dirty at all...he's either the teacher or a salesman in training. Looks like black shirt and red shirt did all the work. Nice job.

Why did the tubing crack?
    LOL, that is me in the black shirt. The guy in the white shirt is also a student and the top performer in the class; retired Air Force E-9. He has no problem getting his hands dirty; we were all pushing and shoving for a chance to get in on the action and he lost out.

The theory for the reason the tubing cracked is it was the area under the bracket that held it to the frame of the unit and vibration may have caused the copper to work-harden and eventually crack. Look at the first picture in post #2 and you will see where the bracket was located across the suction line. Picture was taken after the bracket was removed. You can also notice that the manufacturer put a strange angle on the line so the service valve was at a slight upward angle. Look at the second picture in post #2 at the second compressor and you will see the bracket on that one still in place and the upward angle I am talking about.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    you should change that ring to something silicone based, and non-conductive.
    Well you got the there and I know better, after 26yrs of aircraft maintenance experience and seeing the consequences of wearing jewelry while working around electrical and mechanical machinery.

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Maintenance man came in to our class today and said the vacuum was down to 200 microns first thing this morning. So he charged up the system and had it up and running before 10am.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    another person who is afraid of change? i love my zoomlock but still have my torches as well
    I can see where the zoomlock would be great addition to a techs arsenal.

Post Likes
    I love mine both have a place in the HVAC world for sure

Post Likes
    glad to see you're getting some real world schooling with your schooling! good for you! good luck in the trade, it is what you make it, I'm on my second career as well, and it has been very good to me! have fun, but above ALL else, be safe.....NOTHING you will work on is worth getting hurt or killed over!!