Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 237
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,628
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    davida, your employee kneels to disrespect the flag in front of some of your patriotic customers? You are good with that?
    what if he burns the customer's flag? and the customer is a war veteran?

  2. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  3. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,116
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    Would have been better off ignoring his protest it only blew up when he got shit on for it and that started feeding the old controversy tornado and then Trump weighed in (of course) and suddenly it became a protest against Trump too. It's just a stupid game I don't get why they need anthems before the game starts anyway do you forget what country you are in when you buy a ticket? Save the anthems for international events.
    The answer to that question is that the kind of people who most closely follow team sports also happen to be the kind of people who most closely resemble herd animals. Seen in that light, the national anthem at (intra-national) sporting events functions pretty much as a ceremonial cattle call, as a reminder of the power of the herd and the comfort of belonging to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    It's a National pride thing. And to be thankful and respectful of how much [how many lives] we have sacrificed to build this country and gain our Freedom.

    Guess you guys don't have that up there?
    On the contrary, BBeerme. Some of us don't require prompting...or more accurately, compulsion...to express and demonstrate pride about our ancestors and our country, least of all in lockstep with other attendees at recreational events. My ancestors didn't cross an ocean and slog their way through every major struggle in American history since the Revolution just so I could take on the characteristics of a herd animal.

    Honestly, it amazes me that people like you so easily forget that the American experiment is first and foremost about maximizing freedom. A true American has nothing but disdain for arbitrary conformity.

    Put that in your wisdom pipe and smoke it.

  4. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,438
    Post Likes
    https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/burn-yo...racist-freaks/

    Bless Trump

    Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  5. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,547
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/burn-yo...racist-freaks/

    Bless Trump

    Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Do you think they fire the executive millennial snowflakes that do stupid stuff like nike did? Or do they just pass out participation bonus'.


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  6. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  7. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,438
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    Do you think they fire the executive millennial snowflakes that do stupid stuff like nike did? Or do they just pass out participation bonus'.
    I will go with number two.



    Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
  9. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Losantiville
    Posts
    4,679
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/burn-yo...racist-freaks/

    Bless Trump

    Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    It seems Flagg Eagleton has quite a sense of humor. Click the links and read his bio. Bless Trump. You got played again.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,116
    Post Likes
    A quote from that website...

    "If you haven’t been watching, Nike has decided it hates America by backing the people who feel it necessary to disrespect dead veterans.They gave Colin Kaepernick a contract and he doesn’t even play football. That right there should be illegal. When the middle class of this country decides a person isn’t good enough, that’s final."
    Do you all seriously buy into that kind of hare-brained thinking? I mean, what kind of poorly functioning mind concludes that taking a knee is literally intended to "disrespect dead veterans"? If anything, the athletes would say they're trying to call attention to the struggles of minorities. Maybe not the smartest way to do so, but again, to suggest that they actively intend to disrespect dead veterans is a hysterical absurdity.

    As for the claim that giving Kaepernick a contract "should be illegal", what kind of nonsensical reactionary bull$h!t is that? Could that writer have made a less conservative argument with that point? Now we're going to regulate which controversial celebrities can be awarded apparel contracts?!!

    Not to mention the idiotic notion that the middle class of America has one opinion on a given topic.

  11. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMasticator View Post
    The answer to that question is that the kind of people who most closely follow team sports also happen to be the kind of people who most closely resemble herd animals. Seen in that light, the national anthem at (intra-national) sporting events functions pretty much as a ceremonial cattle call, as a reminder of the power of the herd and the comfort of belonging to it.



    On the contrary, BBeerme. Some of us don't require prompting...or more accurately, compulsion...to express and demonstrate pride about our ancestors and our country, least of all in lockstep with other attendees at recreational events. My ancestors didn't cross an ocean and slog their way through every major struggle in American history since the Revolution just so I could take on the characteristics of a herd animal.

    Honestly, it amazes me that people like you so easily forget that the American experiment is first and foremost about maximizing freedom. A true American has nothing but disdain for arbitrary conformity.

    Put that in your wisdom pipe and smoke it.
    I think you're heavily underestimating the importance of tradition in a society.

    That being said, there's a fine line between a sacred cow and a tradition that's doing the job of maintaining the fabric of a society.

    The Anthem is a reminder that there's something bigger and more important than the game being played. Of course you could say in this case it's cheap/compelled nationalism, and that's probably true to some degree, but what's the alternative? Just delve right in to what amounts to watching violence in exchange for money?

    There's at least SOME value in the tradition, I think. Maybe not much, but some.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Likes
    What I really don't understand is how kneeling during the anthem is a protest.

    It's a show of submission. Something you'd do in the presence of someone or something of much higher status than you.

    Want to protest it? Stand, but in the opposite direction.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  13. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,116
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    It seems Flagg Eagleton has quite a sense of humor. Click the links and read his bio. Bless Trump. You got played again.
    Danggummit....I got played too. Hahahaha...

    Here are a couple other hilarious headlines from that writer, Flagg Eagleton:

    https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/breakin...racy-theorist/

    BREAKING: Hillary Clinton Killed By ‘Internet Conspiracy Theorist’

    CONFIRMED: California Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill That Removes Christmas As A Recognized Holiday

    BREAKING: Barack and Michelle Obama Are Suing The Federal Government For ‘Unpaid Wages’

  14. Likes netsalt liked this post
  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,116
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I think you're heavily underestimating the importance of tradition in a society.

    That being said, there's a fine line between a sacred cow and a tradition that's doing the job of maintaining the fabric of a society.

    The Anthem is a reminder that there's something bigger and more important than the game being played. Of course you could say in this case it's cheap/compelled nationalism, and that's probably true to some degree, but what's the alternative? Just delve right in to what amounts to watching violence in exchange for money?

    There's at least SOME value in the tradition, I think. Maybe not much, but some.
    The tension lies between a need for traditions and an equal need for updating them over time. As nature would have it, the strength (and weakness) of the conservative types is that they're inclined to focus on the maintenance of tradition, and the strength (and weakness) of liberals is that they're inclined to focus on change. The trick is...how do we strike a balance between the two equally importance impulses?

    Of course, there's some value in a national anthem, but I was specifically addressing its use at national (as opposed to international) sporting events. I mean...really, what the heck does the commencement of a pro football game have to do with the founding of our country and with fallen veterans? Lemme answer for ya: Pretty much NOTHING.

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,116
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    What I really don't understand is how kneeling during the anthem is a protest.

    It's a show of submission. Something you'd do in the presence of someone or something of much higher status than you.

    Want to protest it? Stand, but in the opposite direction.
    It's simple, they're just doing the opposite of everyone else. Bucking the trend is a protest regardless of the form or the visuals.

    Symbolically, it could maybe be explained like this: Taking a knee indicates a weakness or malfunction in the broader societal system.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMasticator View Post
    It's simple, they're just doing the opposite of everyone else. Bucking the trend is a protest regardless of the form or the visuals.

    Symbolically, it could maybe be explained like this: Taking a knee indicates a weakness or malfunction in the broader societal system.
    I'm not so sure that "symbology" (name that movie!) Holds up.

    Again, kneeling is a show of submission. You could make a case for a message like: "America is becoming a tyrannical state, and as such, we should NOT be standing tall with pride, but cowering to our overlords instead." Like a wake-up call.

    But that doesn't fit the message that he claims he's doing it for. Hell, his life is basically a slap in the face for the people he's proclaiming to be a voice for.

    I think I'd just stay in the locker room and walk out as the anthem is wrapping up. Then upon Inquisition, I'd just tell them I can't, in good conscience, stand for a country that allows that kind of thing to happen.

    (All the while thinking how profitable this NFL gig is going to be for me)

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •