Thread: Filter size

Post Likes

Filter size

Howdy all, I have a quick question, but it may not be such a quick answer😜. I have a Goodman GMS8 furnace and am trying to change out the return air filter. The manual online shows a 16x25x1 filter is needed and that is what I have, however, when I install it, the filter seems to be about an inch too narrow and slightly too thick. The thickness would not allow it to slide into the filter grooves on the sides, but even if it would, the 16 inch width doesn’t reach the grooves. As it sits, the filter can just lift up and create a large gap for air to blow through. By the looks of it, I would have thought a 17x25x.75 would fit. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Josh

Post Likes
    we cant c it
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I know and I was going to post pics but decided to try something instead. What I did was bought a cut to size type filter with filter material and a plastic grid. I cut the grid to 17 inches and attempted to install. Apparently the filter needs to be 16 inches to get it into the furnace as the 17 inches wouldn’t even cram in there. So I trimmed the grid to 16 and left the filter material wider to fill the space and go into the grooves. Seems to fit ok, but I’m going to watch it and see if it lifts as air is flowing. Time will tell.