Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Wireless air probes for system performance testing

I've been thinking of getting some wireless airprobes for awhile now as I've always liked seeing the real time btu performance of the system at work. Having the whole shindig would probably be a bonus but my Sman360's have never let me down and are paid for. I've always thought showing a customer how many btus their system was actually putting out would make them realize I'm not blowing smoke when I tell them a 14" flex return won't cut it for 5 tons.
    Seems like they all have downsides or are meant to sell billing software rather than be a great toolset. Anyone have a favorite? A hatred? Since it would go with the topic, what's your tool of choice for measuring cfm?

Post Likes
    14" flex on 5 ton? The number of blower motors changed should be enough proof! I would think the flex would implode at that kind of pressure.

Post Likes
    My favorite is the Fieldpiece kit coupled with MeasureQuick app. MQ’s support for Fieldpiece probes is a recent addition, like icing on the cake. Fieldpiece’s app exhibited intermittent connectivity issues for some issuers, but recent reports I’ve read indicate MQ/Fieldpiece does far better with the connectivity.

Fieldpiece probes (its generally agreed) have better range than the Testos, and though the iManifold/iConnect setup has superior range, pricing and bulk are issues for many folks.

There are many great YouTube video reviews of most all probe choices.

My only CFM measuring tool is the Testo hotwire anemometer. I don’t remember model number. Again, YouTube (and TruTechTools.com) provide some great online training/support for its use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    14" wasn't an actual customer, but I'd think we've all been there. High bills, uncomfortable rooms and frequent break downs due to undersized ducting. People seem to think you just connect any old size or length piece of duct and your set.
    I'd love to show "your paying to run a 4 ton and it's only getting you 3 tons of cooling. Ive probably watched at this point to many videos and just need to pull the trigger. I do like my Field piece tools but had heard you can't use the airprobes yet for heating, they won't read past like 120?

Post Likes
    Seems all I hear about anymore is Testo, Field piece and Iconnect. I know there's lots more out there, just hadn't heard if anyone has used them or their thoughts on them

Post Likes

Wireless air probes for system performance testing

I have the UEI-HUB6. My 1st in wireless period. I have only had them for a few months. 140°f is the max for the temp sensor. Which I just had to look up because I didn’t even think of that when I bought it. Wow I’m
    Kinda disappointed with that. I really like this kit tho.
    It does not connect to MQ either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    I've been thinking of getting some wireless airprobes for awhile now as I've always liked seeing the real time btu performance of the system at work. Having the whole shindig would probably be a bonus but my Sman360's have never let me down and are paid for. I've always thought showing a customer how many btus their system was actually putting out would make them realize I'm not blowing smoke when I tell them a 14" flex return won't cut it for 5 tons.
    Seems like they all have downsides or are meant to sell billing software rather than be a great toolset. Anyone have a favorite? A hatred? Since it would go with the topic, what's your tool of choice for measuring cfm?
    How do you prove something to them in this situation?

4.5 x delta H (8.25) x 1600 =59400

OR

4.5 x (6.6) x 2000 = 59400btu

Which one is better for them?
    I ask because im interested, and have wondered how to present that at times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the delta H? I've tried showing people their static pressure compared to the blower performance chart and they seem to get a glazed over look in their eyes, then get skeptical and ask if I'm saying they need new equipment. Willing to bet if a computer screen tells them the same info I've been saying for years, the dim bulb will brighten.

Post Likes
    Change in enthalpy

Post Likes
    I don't follow the math you provided which is not shocking to any of my former math tutors. 4.5 is your constant times a change in enthalpy (variable) times cfm equaled somehow a 5 tons worth of btu's, both times?

Post Likes
    My advice is to keep it simple. If a customer doesn't understand after showing them the blower performance chart or Manual D, they're not going to understand enthalpy. All those types of customers understand is "cold air has been coming out of my vents for 20 years, I don't have a problem." Sometimes you need to let them have Bubba Joe slap a 5-ton Goodman on that duct work and let them learn from their mistakes.

If your customer doesn't trust your expertise with the simplest demonstrations, you're wasting your breath.

Post Likes
    I have most of the testo stuff and i am trying to get better with the MeasureQuick app since they work well with it.

There are 2 things about Testo probes that drive me crazy: the air temp/humidity probes (605i) have a huge tip so i have to go get my drill and find a spot I'm comfortable putting a 1/2" hole. Also, they all have horrible connection strength. Only in very small houses can i go from attic to condenser and have all probes stay connected to the phone.

I haven't used any others but UEI air probes have 1/4" tips and supposedly much better range.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    My advice is to keep it simple. If a customer doesn't understand after showing them the blower performance chart or Manual D, they're not going to understand enthalpy. All those types of customers understand is "cold air has been coming out of my vents for 20 years, I don't have a problem." Sometimes you need to let them have Bubba Joe slap a 5-ton Goodman on that duct work and let them learn from their mistakes.

If your customer doesn't trust your expertise with the simplest demonstrations, you're wasting your breath.
    I ask my customers which is easier. Using one or two straws to suck a milkshake from a cup. Every one sees the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast