Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18
    Post Likes

    Suspect mold inside walls, now what?

    A room adjacent to a shower stall started to have an odor and if I stay in this room for long, my throat starts to hurt/burn.

    The shower, which was tiled by a sloppy contractor, may have a slow leak, slow enough that no water stain shows on the ceiling below, but enough to create a moist environment for mold to grow in the walls. The odor I'm smelling may be mold related. I'm going to stop using this shower.

    I also spotted ants coming out somewhere behind the shower walls, further adding to my suspicion there is rotting wood.

    I thought about getting mold air sample. However, if the mold is inside the walls, what I'm smelling may not be mold spores but maybe neurotoxins emitted by the mold. I think air sampling only detects particles like mold spores, not poisonous gas.

    What is the next step to take? What kind of contractor should I hire to figure this out?

    I'm in the WA state in case you have location specfic comment.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    20,923
    Post Likes
    Tear out the walls and LOOK

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    720
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leakyduct View Post
    A room adjacent to a shower stall started to have an odor and if I stay in this room for long, my throat starts to hurt/burn.

    The shower, which was tiled by a sloppy contractor, may have a slow leak, slow enough that no water stain shows on the ceiling below, but enough to create a moist environment for mold to grow in the walls. The odor I'm smelling may be mold related. I'm going to stop using this shower.

    I also spotted ants coming out somewhere behind the shower walls, further adding to my suspicion there is rotting wood.

    I thought about getting mold air sample. However, if the mold is inside the walls, what I'm smelling may not be mold spores but maybe neurotoxins emitted by the mold. I think air sampling only detects particles like mold spores, not poisonous gas.

    What is the next step to take? What kind of contractor should I hire to figure this out?

    I'm in the WA state in case you have location specfic comment.
    Do you have a thermal camera or know someone that does? There is a good chance that you may be able to find a slow leak that way, the water will be colder because of evaporation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.