+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suspect mold inside walls, now what?

Post Likes

Suspect mold inside walls, now what?

A room adjacent to a shower stall started to have an odor and if I stay in this room for long, my throat starts to hurt/burn.

The shower, which was tiled by a sloppy contractor, may have a slow leak, slow enough that no water stain shows on the ceiling below, but enough to create a moist environment for mold to grow in the walls. The odor I'm smelling may be mold related. I'm going to stop using this shower.

I also spotted ants coming out somewhere behind the shower walls, further adding to my suspicion there is rotting wood.

I thought about getting mold air sample. However, if the mold is inside the walls, what I'm smelling may not be mold spores but maybe neurotoxins emitted by the mold. I think air sampling only detects particles like mold spores, not poisonous gas.

What is the next step to take? What kind of contractor should I hire to figure this out?

I'm in the WA state in case you have location specfic comment.

Post Likes
    Tear out the walls and LOOK
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leakyduct View Post
    A room adjacent to a shower stall started to have an odor and if I stay in this room for long, my throat starts to hurt/burn.

The shower, which was tiled by a sloppy contractor, may have a slow leak, slow enough that no water stain shows on the ceiling below, but enough to create a moist environment for mold to grow in the walls. The odor I'm smelling may be mold related. I'm going to stop using this shower.

I also spotted ants coming out somewhere behind the shower walls, further adding to my suspicion there is rotting wood.

I thought about getting mold air sample. However, if the mold is inside the walls, what I'm smelling may not be mold spores but maybe neurotoxins emitted by the mold. I think air sampling only detects particles like mold spores, not poisonous gas.

What is the next step to take? What kind of contractor should I hire to figure this out?

I'm in the WA state in case you have location specfic comment.
    Do you have a thermal camera or know someone that does? There is a good chance that you may be able to find a slow leak that way, the water will be colder because of evaporation.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in