Post Likes

Refrigerator compressor overload and start relay

Hello:

I have a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator, model 106.51212100. The model specific compressor overload and start relay for the Coldspot is 8201786. However, unknowingly I installed an aftermarket part compatible with part # 61005518 (Snap Supply Relay & Overload for Whirlpool Directly Replaces 61005518). I could not obtain any technical specifications on the parts neither from Sears Parts Direct nor Snap Supply in order to compare the parts 8201786 and 61005518.

The refrigerator has been cooling, and the freezer has been freezing for about 89 hours (3+ days). The refrigerator and freezer were at about 75°F at the beginning of this 89-hour period. My question is if part 61005518 is left in the refrigerator instead of the model specific 8201786, does that cause any problems in the future? Also, has it already caused problems, even though both the refrigerator and the freezer are doing their jobs?

I look forward to receiving any help on this. Thank you so much!

Post Likes
    Code 106. is "Whirlpool". Kenmore doesnt make any of it's own equipment. They rebrand other equipment.

You likely have the correct part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Code 106. is "Whirlpool". Kenmore doesnt make any of it's own equipment. They rebrand other equipment.

You likely have the correct part.
    Hi, thank you for your response. To clarify, both parts (8201786 and 61005518) are compressor overload and start relay kits. I installed 61005518 instead of 8201786, which is what the model 106.51212100 calls for. Basically, I am trying to determine two things: 1) if damage has already happened to any refrigerator component 2) if damage may occur to any component in the future. This information will help me decide if I should swap 61005518 with 8201786, so long as it is not too late.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    No damage will come from using identical parts with different OEM numbers on them. Kenmore is just a reseller of someone else's stuff.

If the compressor was damaged from bad start components then it is already bad. Forget about it. It's fine right now.

Post Likes
    No damage will come from using identical parts with different OEM numbers on them. Kenmore is just a reseller of someone else's stuff.

If the compressor was damaged from bad start components then it is already bad. Forget about it. It's fine right now.
    Thanks again!

I am wondering how you can tell that the parts, 8201786 and 61005518, are identical without the technical specifications. Don't you need information, such as the amp limit on both overloads for comparison, before coming to that conclusion?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetual motor View Post
    Thanks again!

I am wondering how you can tell that the parts, 8201786 and 61005518, are identical without the technical specifications. Don't you need information, such as the amp limit on both overloads for comparison, before coming to that conclusion?
    He was taught by the guru
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

7. Likes VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetual motor View Post
    Thanks again!

I looked at a few appliance repair sites that stated the specs. A few sites even had both part numbers listed on them, plus a listing of all the models of units they were for.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    He was taught by the guru
    In this case, I was, but he is not on this site.

Post Likes
    I looked at a few appliance repair sites that stated the specs. A few sites even had both part numbers listed on them, plus a listing of all the models of units they were for.
    OK. I am curious where you found the information, because before I posted here, I tried searching online for the info but without success. Could you please share one such site where both parts and their matching models are listed? Thank you!

Post Likes
    Due to forum rules I cant link out to direct sales sites but I can tell you it was a company that specialized in appliance repairs and parts sales.

I also found this on another site that didnt reference both at the same time:

The provided instructions cover most models. If the instructions are not applicable to your model, a repair technican (sic) may need to install this part.
    The start device is removed from the circuit once the compressor is up to speed. In the case of Snap Supply, they made a replacement that covers a whole bunch of different models.

Post Likes
    Due to forum rules I cant link out to direct sales sites but I can tell you it was a company that specialized in appliance repairs and parts sales.

I also found this on another site that didnt reference both at the same time:

The start device is removed from the circuit once the compressor is up to speed. In the case of Snap Supply, they made a replacement that covers a whole bunch of different models.
    OK. Thank you for your time and patience! I appreciate your help.

12. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    HVAC_Marc, We are 10 months into the repair. The fridge is working just as good a before the breakdown. Thank you for your help!