+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My thoughts on the Fieldpiece smart probes.

Post Likes

My thoughts on the Fieldpiece smart probes.

So, once again like a kid opening up a new toy!

Well, I'm happy with them. Testing them against my Testo smart probes they're pretty well in range. RH, within 0.5%, DB within 0.3°F. I've tested my iConnect against the Testo's and they were also relatively close to one another.

Range is good, but they keep dropping out and reconnecting. Even standing by the condenser the liquid line temp clamp would routinely drop out and reconnect.
    I'm now standing 10' away and the psych probes continue to drop and reconnect. Where as my Testo's do not drop out, until they get past their threshold range which is much shorter than the expected range of the FP's. The nice thing about the FP's is, they reconnect without having to restore the app.

If I'm standing outside behind my van, I lose signal from the psych probes inside the home about 40'-50' away. I believe my house has foil exterior wrap under the siding, this could pose an issue.

I have not tried them on the Measurequick app yet.

I still like my Testo's too, but neither one of them compare to the iConnect in terms of range.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 08-24-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    That might just be how these work. I thought I read somewhere these blast out data and multiple smart devices could pick up on the same probe so it's not really directly connected you your device.

Post Likes
    All I know is I want them. Willing to sell a kidney... any takers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Try it with mq for whatever reason the communication seems stronger and more constant. I would also get the same issue with the fp app. Using only the mq app now only time I loose connection is when I’m actually out of range. I’m sure you already know but make sure you clean up the copper before attaching clamps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A couple things I like better than the iConnect,

much smaller more versatile air probes
    IT COMES WITH A FRIGGIN CASE!
    pressure probes are much smaller
    WIRELESS fast responding temp clamps
    no interface, to deal with, but again it doesn't have the consistent range of the iConnect

I have yet to see the battery life comparison

Post Likes
    Did you break your sling psychrometer and type K bead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    Ok, I believe the range issue is with my iPad, and iPhone 6s, they’re limited to Bluetooth 4.2. I’d have to bump to the iPhone 8 or X, but Apple doesn’t have a BT5 iPad out yet, I don’t think.

So, wow! I’m really in for a treat once my phone catches up with my new tool.
    Bluetooth standard advertises that BT5 offers: lower energy consumption
    2x the speed
    4x the range
    8x the information capacity

8. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Range is limited by the antenna and no smart probe uses BT5 yet. If the 8 or X has a better antenna they will work better. Both these phones are all glass so even if they used the same antenna as your 6s with metal back it would have better range not because it is capable of BT5 communication.

Post Likes
    Interesting, bluetooth 5.0 was an assumption due to chatter on this site. I guess there's just some kind of special booster then???

I've seen videos showing some pretty extensive range with the JL2 probe kit. Also, the probes did not drop and reconnect as frequently as mine do on the iPad. Again, haven't tried the Measurequick app with them yet.

Are you saying it's possibly the iPad and 6S metal case that's the issue?

Post Likes
    What's the issue? Range?

Post Likes
    FWIW the big upgrade from 6 to 6s was a thicker metal case so the phone wouldn't bend in your pocket.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    All I know is I want them. Willing to sell a kidney... any takers?

Just bought the kit. It does drop out and reconnect in less than a second. I l I'll keep the fact that I can screen shot and boom, if any cries bs, I email them the report. Love it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So... you need a kidney? Or you're donating your FP for a good cause? Either way works for me.🤤
    Quote Originally Posted by technocratic View Post
    Just bought the kit. It does drop out and reconnect in less than a second. I l I'll keep the fact that I can screen shot and boom, if any cries bs, I email them the report. Love it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    So what does the JL2 get you with the smart probes? I thought it was needed for all of field pieces older wireless instruments, which seem like they'd be redundant now. I wonder if they will continue supporting them.

Post Likes
    Ok, just used them today in a real world test. Yeah, they're now my goto set up. Quick and easy. Range was good on a 2 story ~3000 sqft all brick home. Probes in attic and also down at condenser. Still have the drop and reconnect, but it seems to be a non issue.

The one thing that pissed me off was the mandatory update! WTF. I lost connection, and had to update using cell data in order to log in. I don't know what that was all about. This happened mid test this morning around 10am.

Other than that they are definitely a keeper!

Post Likes
    I've had mine for about a week now, zero issues to report. The btu output is nice. Enthalpy probs work great. Performs great for first starts, provides all the data my company is looking for on the start up sheets, really makes it a breeze.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Ok, just used them today in a real world test. Yeah, they're now my goto set up. Quick and easy. Range was good on a 2 story ~3000 sqft all brick home. Probes in attic and also down at condenser. Still have the drop and reconnect, but it seems to be a non issue.

The one thing that pissed me off was the mandatory update! WTF. I lost connection, and had to update using cell data in order to log in. I don't know what that was all about. This happened mid test this morning around 10am.

Other than that they are definitely a keeper!
    Have you tried the FP Probes with MQ? We did some things differently on the probe management side that you might like.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Ok, so I'm a little over a month and a half in with these new probes. I know a lot of guys on here are complaining about the intermittent drop out issue, but I've found it really not to be much of an issue. They don't have any problems reconnecting if you wait just a moment.

The fact that I can just shove the very thin air probes into most supply and return air vents is awesome. The magnet holds them in place without a problem. The line clamps and pressure probes have also worked very well. It's so easy to drag a pdf report from my iPhone to my iPad for attachments on my iPad invoice.

I would like them to upgrade to BT 5.0 at some point. I will then upgrade my iPhone when they do.

So, at the 1.5 month mark, they're still 2 thumbs up and my full time goto gauges. Well worth the small investment. My old Testo 550's and iConnect kit are getting dusty.

Post Likes
    What's the cost range

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in