Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

HVAC Pro crashes when communicating on a virtual machine

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble here. I had an XP virtual machine (Oracle VM) installed and got myself a USB to serial adapter. Running this on a Windows 7 64 bit by the way. Everything went fine installing the software, USB to serial drivers are installed. I have the virtual USB port selected for the correct device. Got the COM port set to 2. I really don't think I'm missing anything

So when I go to upload a configuration to test the software, the "communication handler" window will show up in the bottom taskbar, but freezes Windows XP... Can't really figure out what's going on, anyone have any experience with this specific problem?

Post Likes
    Good day nocomply65,

Ensure that your HVACPro is version/Release is 8.04 or higher.

Secondly, check that you have installed your USB Serial converter on a USB2.0 port. Newer computers and laptops are including USB 3.0 ports (some or all) and USB3.0 will not work with Windows XP ... even a virtualized one. The reason is because XP does not know how to communicate with USB 3.0 ports, because USB 3.0 was never around when XP was around... and so there are no USB 3.0 drivers for XP.

Also check to ensure that your Win 7 - 64 Bit computer has the latest Windows Host USB drivers installed. The onboard USB host controller could have old drivers which can be flakey and this could also cause your issue.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    I thought that HVAC Pro only worked on 32 bit machines. I could be wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
    I thought that HVAC Pro only worked on 32 bit machines. I could be wrong.
    Good day Reaper,

Natively yes, but you can use HVACPro on 64-bit Windows machines via Virtualization software that has 32-bit Windows installed. Surprisingly, it works very well. We and a lot of our customers have been using this approach with 64-bit Windows for over 8 years now without issue.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Good to know. Thanks Sam.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nocomply65 View Post
    Hey guys, having a bit of trouble here. I had an XP virtual machine (Oracle VM) installed and got myself a USB to serial adapter. Running this on a Windows 7 64 bit by the way. Everything went fine installing the software, USB to serial drivers are installed. I have the virtual USB port selected for the correct device. Got the COM port set to 2. I really don't think I'm missing anything

So when I go to upload a configuration to test the software, the "communication handler" window will show up in the bottom taskbar, but freezes Windows XP... Can't really figure out what's going on, anyone have any experience with this specific problem?
    This could be a conflict with the usb driver. are you running the 8.08b version? I also have found that the FTDI chip runs perfectly with the older stuff. I have xp running under vmplayer and can even work with the older dos programs with no problems. here is the usb converter I use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/122229951008?nordt=true

Post Likes
    This setup has been a major source of frustration for me. The last laptop I bought I had the best intention on running hvac pro on a 32 bit Win 7 VM. After hours of trying I gave up!! I could never get the com port to work in the VM and had random blue screen shut downs of the VM. I carry an old laptop with XPmode that is my only option at this point. I haven't tried to get it working for at least a year, but this thread gives me some ideas for sure. I would like to only carry one laptop around!!

Post Likes
    What do people normally use this software for?

Post Likes
    On VM machines and serial adapters there are two ways to use them in my experience. Depending on the virtualization environment there are different ways of doing this but seems like they all can.

1. Install the USB adapter on the HOST OS and pass the COMM port through to the VM. Works surprisingly well in supervision.

2. Pass the USB device itself through to the GUEST OS and do everything in the VM like you would if it were a stand alone computer. This might work better if you think the drivers are old and won't work on newer computers.

Any disruption in unplugging the USB device may require a restart of the VM due to all this pass through stuff, the stack needs to be established in order.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post
    What do people normally use this software for?
    Good day john5220,

The software (HVACPro) is used to program, commission, etc older field controllers made by Johnson Controls Inc (JCI).

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Ok, you doing a direct plug to N2 or you using the CVTpro?

Post Likes
    I ended up getting some support from someone more savvy with computers and got it figured out. I didn't quite understand how virtual machines worked and was trying to use a USB filter set up on the Oracle VM, when what I really needed to do was set the USB to serial cable device that I have to COM2 on my host. Then, I set up my serial port in my guest on the virtual machine settings to COM2. After this simple change, I can now upload and download programs from legacy controllers. My struggles with carrying two laptops are finally over. My other laptop that had a serial port had a shorted capacitor or something, because even a new battery pack wouldn't hold a charge. It got cumbersome (and even dangerous when considering being on a ladder) having to continuously have power to the laptop. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it. Almost looking forward to that next service call where I have to use it rather than dreading it

Post Likes
    There arent many laptops out there anymore with native serial ports, however HP was making a couple up until recently that can still be found online. I didnt want to deal with the frustrations of passing the USB/serial through to the VM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast