+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Short lineset

Post Likes

Short lineset

What are the ill effects of a short lineset? I have a 1.5t Airdale cassette with a 1.5t york heat pump. The outdoor unit is on the roof about 3' up. I read nothing about a minimum length in the manual. Complaint was a whining sound. I dont believe its the indoor blower as it only happens in cooling. The internal condensate pump runs any the compressor is on. I replaced that with onsite spare to eliminate that. Also it wont do it while im there. Im thinking its refrigerant sounds due to short lineset. Running about 9* SC. 9*SH Was thinking about adding a little to get SC up and stack a little. Refer behind the valve

Post Likes
    So the line set is about the same length as a package unit, they don't make that noise. What type of metering device, that will make a difference on target SH/SC?

Post Likes
    I did read package units typically have a little less sub-cooling due to length of line. Trane advises the nameplate subcooling is good for 60feet total, anything over should be charged with some additional subcooling. Nothing about going below in shorter scenarios except for removing charge with short length line in a “charge by weight” scenario.

Is the txv adjustable? Ive had some txvs make an awful sound when set in just the right position. A turn in or out and it would go away. Same goes for hose bibs...ever turn a faucet to a point that its very noisy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A package RTU may very well have refrigerant noises. But they are not in a executives Office. I doubt it as adjustable. It is in the unit. And not easily accessible and right above his desk.....I will check if it is next time i am out there. And may adjust the charge a hair

Post Likes
    My wife says she likes longer line sets. I don’t think she knows anything about refrigerant piping but that’s what she always says.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Don't they say it's human nature to want what you can't have?

7. Likes Core_d, kangaroogod, jayguy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Regardless of line length, use the manufacturer charging chart for the condenser.

9* SH is a little low. I wouldn’t add charge. If it’s a txv, close it a little, that will raise your SC also.

If a unit is precharged for a certain length lineset...25’, 50’ etc. then you will likely have to remove charge with a very short lineset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time is the devil in great disguise --- Leon Pretorious

9. Likes Core_d liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in