Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire bugs

Post Likes
    I always used the scotch fill insulation putty and 33 plus electric tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Does anybody here wrap the wire bug with that paper release tape before the rubber tape? Or am I the only guy doing it? I hate, hate, hate, having to carve off 25 year old rubber tape. <g>

I used to work with a guy who used the peel-off from rubber tape for the first layer.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I could not remember the name. <g> Varnish-Tape in the name I have always used.

It's great if you ever have to take the rubber tape off again. But I always seem to come across wire bugs with the rubber tape applied directly and they always piss me off to disassemble. <g>

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    Do you mean varnished cambric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    But why not just use a water-tite box to make the connections?

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Pretty sure it's been that way since at least the 90s. But as an example, a 3/4 LB is around 4.5 cu. in., which means that you couldn't even splice 3 14 AWG conductors inside oBut why not just use a f one unless you got a larger condulet and used reducing bushings. (3x 14AWG = 6 cu. in. required)

But I am guilty of doing it myself - this was 3x 10 AWG in 3/4 recently (had to relocate the disconnect):

Attachment 802498
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    But why not just use a water-tite box to make the connections?

PHM
    ----------
    Because the LB is what I had on hand.

Post Likes
    But I always seem to come across wire bugs with the rubber tape applied directly and they always piss me off to disassemble. <g>

PHM
    -----------

Post Likes
    Does anybody here wrap the wire bug with that paper release tape before the rubber tape? Or am I the only guy doing it? I hate, hate, hate, having to carve off 25 year old rubber tape. <g>

I used to work with a guy who used the peel-off from rubber tape for the first layer.
    Varnished Cambric tape is what you are thinking of. But, if in a bind teflon tape works great! I'm sure that teflon tape isn't listed, but I have used many rolls of it over spilt bolts and under C130 splicing tape.

CT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12