Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    LA CA
    Posts
    42
    Post Likes

    Gotta use copper

    I think this unit will have a shorter service life .

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yg1box View Post
    I think this unit will have a shorter service life .

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Definatly a handyman special. I'm guessing that no HVAC training was used on this unit.LOL

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    2,706
    Post Likes
    Please explain what we're looking at.

    In the first pic I see an old disconnect laying on the ground with something weird going on with the fuses, but I can't tell exactly what. The 2nd pic I see your shiny new disconnect along with a sideways contactor and some creative capacitor handiwork that someone rigged up about 40 years ago?

    What the hell is this thing?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    18,399
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Please explain what we're looking at.

    In the first pic I see an old disconnect laying on the ground with something weird going on with the fuses, but I can't tell exactly what. The 2nd pic I see your shiny new disconnect along with a sideways contactor and some creative capacitor handiwork that someone rigged up about 40 years ago?

    What the hell is this thing?
    Looks like they used a piece of copper tube for a fuse...... and the caps... those units have three caps......
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

    WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

    Chewbacca Mom 2016

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,540
    Post Likes
    A shorter service-life than what?

    Did you happen to check the date-code, build-date, or serial number? I ask because it looks like it's had a pretty long service life already.

    Was it still running when you were done with it?

    What is the difference between an unfused service disconnect and a fused service disconnect with copper tubing in the fuse holders?

    PHM
    ------------

    Quote Originally Posted by yg1box View Post
    I think this unit will have a shorter service life .

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    112
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Looks like they used a piece of copper tube for a fuse...... and the caps... those units have three caps......
    Yeah-they came from the factory with three caps--one for the fan, two for the compressor, wired using one of them for off cycle heat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    LA CA
    Posts
    42
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Hard to tell in picture they used EMT not copper instead of fuses. This is an old I believe GE unit or early model trane. All original capacitors original contactor. It was overheated do too worn out disconnect. I changed the disconnect and advised customer to let it cool down and try start it up in a couple hours. Waiting to hear from them.

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh,NC.
    Posts
    436
    Post Likes
    that's one you wish the -recycle thieves would get!!!
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    LA CA
    Posts
    42
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Customer texted me. It started a back up. I think i might need to go in wall of pride. Can't stop a Trane!

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,403
    Post Likes
    That old cube unit will outlast anything new you put in its place.

  11. Likes cws110 liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    112
    Post Likes
    Doubt it was even a Trane. Probably still GE

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,239
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yg1box View Post
    Hard to tell in picture they used EMT not copper instead of fuses. This is an old I believe GE unit or early model trane. All original capacitors original contactor. It was overheated do too worn out disconnect. I changed the disconnect and advised customer to let it cool down and try start it up in a couple hours. Waiting to hear from them.

    Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    How was the unit overheated due to the disconnect?

  14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.