Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 33 of 33
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    7/8" suction line, 1990FPM, 3.6PSIG pressure drop per 100 foot, and 2105 BTUs of capacity loss per 100 foot.
    Awesome, thanks. Someday I'll learn how to calculate that. Sounds like this install should have plenty of velocity then. Boss man might know what he's talking about after all.

    Don't tell him I said that though...

  2. Likes beenthere liked this post
  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Kill Devil Hills, NC
    Posts
    23
    Post Likes
    My concern would be Goidman says anything over 4' trap is required, you have 6', compressor fails while still in warranty period, not covered because no trap, boss has to cover out of his pocket, he remembers you bringing it up but doesn't remember telling you to not install, now he's looking at you.

    I never have to worry about traps as our AH's are always at same level or above ODU. I feel for you, but even though guys have given data showing it's not really needed and will cause restriction lowering efficiency, Goodman says it is needed. I personally would try and talk boss into installing trap to cover my a**.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    76,215
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PointRunner View Post
    My concern would be Goidman says anything over 4' trap is required, you have 6', compressor fails while still in warranty period, not covered because no trap, boss has to cover out of his pocket, he remembers you bringing it up but doesn't remember telling you to not install, now he's looking at you.
    Okay. So who called Goodman and told them their is no trap? Don't recall any manufacturer coming out and looking to see if there is a trap.

    PS: If its a 2 stage unit, say a 5 ton, and 1 1/8" suction line is ran. It should have a trap. As first stage velocity will be too low. Less than 500FPM.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Kill Devil Hills, NC
    Posts
    23
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Okay. So who called Goodman and told them their is no trap? Don't recall any manufacturer coming out and looking to see if there is a trap.
    In my past life as a General Contractor I have had warranty claims verified by company reps. I've had one warranty claim since I started doing HVAC work, no one came out to verify. However, I was raised to be truthful, I'm not going to lie to get an item warranted that I did not install according to manufacturer specs. And sure, you can't always follow all their specs, but with this trap it's pretty black and white.

  6. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    76,215
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PointRunner View Post
    However, I was raised to be truthful,

    sh, your one of those guys that flags down a cop to tell them you were speeding 5 mph over limit and he needs to write you a ticket.

    I'm not going to lie to get an item warranted that I did not install according to manufacturer specs. And sure, you can't always follow all their specs, but with this trap it's pretty black and white.
    No one said anything about lying.

    Once you say you can’t always follow all their specs. Your picking and choosing what suits you. And not following their black and white. Your trying to have your cake and eat it to,
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PointRunner View Post
    In my past life as a General Contractor I have had warranty claims verified by company reps. I've had one warranty claim since I started doing HVAC work, no one came out to verify. However, I was raised to be truthful, I'm not going to lie to get an item warranted that I did not install according to manufacturer specs. And sure, you can't always follow all their specs, but with this trap it's pretty black and white.
    The oil trap police are always watching!

  9. Likes Red Man liked this post
  10. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    17,666
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The oil trap police are always watching!
    yea.........

    there watching the Frezon Nazis!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.