Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    Also what is blue block? Never heard of it. Certainly see leak lock around here that is blue and that absolutely hardens. That was part of my initial question that manufacturers recommend no pipe dope but a non hardening "sealant"- what the hell is "sealant" opposed to pipe dope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most supply houses carry it. Maybe Home Depot too.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

2. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Really. That's interesting. Can the same be said for nitrogen? I'd assume 50-60 psi is 50-60 psi be it compressed air or nitrogen.

NO compressed gas testing in any plastic lines. Mainly because the air decompresses far more than would a liquid. There's more decompression energy to be released.

Post Likes
    I agree however as it's all free work for a freind- not that that affects my workmanship- I'm not insisting on using galvanized but re-plumbing the whole house and what little galvanized still remains and hasn't been redone with cpvc- which I've never seen a whole house don't in cpvc- isn't really in his budget. No good deed goes unpunished.

For a friend you spend the few dollars more to make it good. CPVC is very common here. It works fine when installed correctly (like Goodman). Remember, your workmanship is what carries you past the underlined above.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    Most supply houses carry it. Maybe Home Depot too.
    I hate this stuff. Works great. Dont get it on your hands. Dont try to move it after it's set.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    NO compressed gas testing in any plastic lines. Mainly because the air decompresses far more than would a liquid. There's more decompression energy to be released.
    I guess I'm lost... do not they pressure test for inspection pvc waste and vent with the tear ballon with schrader for that purpose for leaks and integrity for inspection? i can see air expanding- nitrogen not so much.

Post Likes
    I hate this stuff. Works great. Dont get it on your hands. Dont try to move it after it's set.
    Hercules brand leak lock? I'm confused I thought you were not supposed to use hardening "sealant" on threads. Leak lock definitely hardens. Personally I've never seen the blue lock but the way you describe it especially about the hands sure sounds like it- cured a leaking gasket or two with good ol leak lock.

Post Likes
    Hercules brand leak lock? I'm confused I thought you were not supposed to use hardening "sealant" on threads. Leak lock definitely hardens. Personally I've never seen the blue lock but the way you describe it especially about the hands sure sounds like it- cured a leaking gasket or two with good ol leak lock.
    It doesn't harden like leak lock but it does set up and is a bear to get apart.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    It doesn't harden like leak lock but it does set up and is a bear to get apart.
    Gotcha. Same but different. I love the little tubes of leak lock that so conveniently a time or two forget in my back pocket- only to have cap come off and smear all over pants and van seat.

"It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    I guess I'm lost... do not they pressure test for inspection pvc waste and vent with the tear ballon with schrader for that purpose for leaks and integrity for inspection? i can see air expanding- nitrogen not so much.
    It's in the code book, too, NO AIR TESTING. The ball with the air schrader is to pump up the donkey sack so that water cant flow past, and to make it easy to drain the lines without getting wet.

Air is 78% nitrogen. It expands under decompression just as any other gas will.

Post Likes
    It's in the code book, too, NO AIR TESTING. The ball with the air schrader is to pump up the donkey sack so that water cant flow past, and to make it easy to drain the lines without getting wet.

Air is 78% nitrogen. It expands under decompression just as any other gas will.
    I'm learning a lot here- how do they pressure test then just gage the water and the ballon plugs it? I don't do that waste and vent stuff- or any domestic plumbing professionally- just a lowly hvacr tech

"It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    I'm learning a lot here- how do they pressure test then just gage the water and the ballon plugs it? I don't do that waste and vent stuff- or any domestic plumbing professionally- just a lowly hvacr tech

Water weight only and if there's a leak something gets wet. Plug all holes and vents, then fill it to the roof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12