Post Likes

Carrier 30RAN055E circulation pump noise and cavitation

Hello,
    I do some work for our local school district and they asked me to look at their chiller last week. There is a howling noise coming from the circulation pump that is not normal. The strainer maintenance has been done by blow down valve. The school maintenance tech said the strainer screen was missing when I asked if that had been cleaned. The unit may have been running without a screen for a long time. There is only water in the system. The system pipe work is much older. I was wondering if the heat exchanger could be fouled causing poor water flow to the pump head? Next step to check pressure drop across heat exchanger to pump head? Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    Is the screen missing because they forgot to put it back in or because it broke and now pieces of it are downstream?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Is the tower below the pump?

Post Likes
    First you have to know if its open loop or closed loop. Now you have to know your pump pressures. What are they? Plot them on the pump curve. Note the NPSH curve also. If it has low inlet pressure or its running in a vacuum, why?
    Start there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk