Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes

    Amanaca AC + Honeywell thrmostat = no demudification

    I got a brand new 2 stage Amana AC witn a Honeywell VisionPro 8000 thermostat

    amana ASZC160481A 2 stage heat punp
    amana AVPTC61D14 air handler
    honeywell TH8321WF1001 thermostat

    The dehumdifier doesn't seem to be working at all

    I set the thermostat at 45% humidity but the AC only comes on when the temp goes over its 72 degree setting

    The humidity is always around 60+%.

    dehumidifier status on the display = wait

    I toggled the U1 setting in the thermostat between open/closed it says dehumidifying for a few minutes, then goes back to wait on either setting

    AC people are the best in town - or so I thought

    Is the thermostat compatible with this AC?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19,014
    Post Likes
    Dehumidifier? You mean dehumidifier setting, or did you have an existing dehumidifier?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

    "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,054
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Dehumidifier? You mean dehumidifier setting, or did you have an existing dehumidifier?
    X2

    How is this wired?

    Did they know to set it up to dehumidify?

    A quick internet search reveals that airhandler has a dehumidification feature. Sounds to me like something is not configured/installed correctly.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    no external dehumidifier
    dehumidifier equipment setting on the thermostat = ac with low fan

    other choices are ac w/hi fan, dehumidifier, none

    next page on the thermostat option menu is humidifier wiring with one choice = tstat terminal u1.

    Next page gives u1 option = normally open or normally closed

    I tried them both and didn't mess with any other setting

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19,014
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    next page on the thermostat option menu is humidifier wiring with one choice = tstat terminal u1.

    Next page gives u1 option = normally open or normally closed

    I tried them both and didn't mess with any other setting
    None of these setting will work, these are for an external dehumidifier.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

    "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    is the honeywell TH8321WF1001 thermostat compatible with the ac?

    amana ASZC160481A 2 stage heat pump
    amana AVPTC61D14 air handler

    yes?

    is ac w/low fan the right setting for dehumidify if no external dehumidifier?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19,014
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    is the honeywell TH8321WF1001 thermostat compatible with the ac?

    amana ASZC160481A 2 stage heat pump
    amana AVPTC61D14 air handler

    yes?

    is ac w/low fan the right setting for dehumidify if no external dehumidifier?
    Can't answer the first question, but your installer should know, or anyone that sells this equipment.

    Yes! is the answer to your second question...
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

    "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,054
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    no external dehumidifier
    dehumidifier equipment setting on the thermostat = ac with low fan

    other choices are ac w/hi fan, dehumidifier, none

    next page on the thermostat option menu is humidifier wiring with one choice = tstat terminal u1.

    Next page gives u1 option = normally open or normally closed

    I tried them both and didn't mess with any other setting
    Do you understand those install diagrams?
    Additional work is needed to make ANY of those operate when stat is in dehum mode!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Honeywell says the thermostat is compatible

    I got humidity set at 45,

    AC is running nonstop

    It hits the temp setting, stage 2 shuts down, stage 1 over cools three degrees, then kicks in to dehumdify mode - and sits there - running with nothing changing until stage 2 kicks in when the sun is over the roof

    Still humidity = 60

    The fan sounds like it slowing down in dehumidify mode

    Dealer came set the blower from A to B making it faster.

    If anything that should make the humidity worse

    Is there is some other setting we're missing

    Is there some hidden setting holding it at 60?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    17,190
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    Honeywell says the thermostat is compatible

    I got humidity set at 45,

    AC is running nonstop

    It hits the temp setting, stage 2 shuts down, stage 1 over cools three degrees, then kicks in to dehumdify mode - and sits there - running with nothing changing until stage 2 kicks in when the sun is over the roof

    Still humidity = 60

    The fan sounds like it slowing down in dehumidify mode

    Dealer came set the blower from A to B making it faster.

    If anything that should make the humidity worse

    Is there is some other setting we're missing

    Is there some hidden setting holding it at 60?
    Duct leakage
    house leakage
    Sensor(s) out of calibration
    oversized
    overcharged
    undercharged
    wrong fan speed(s)

    theres a lot of things. The installing contractor must find the reason.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks for the the reply

    Leak test and ducts were cleared before installing the new ac and I blasted on the old on high the day before - humidity was 39

    There's a humidity sensor in the air handler?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.