Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    stop. just stop.

if you have an issue, start over and go slowly.

1. start with the pump and no hoses. can the pump pull down? no? fix pump. change oil. get a different pump, check that your micron guage is good, etc.
    2. If the pump is good, add 1 hose and plug the end. restart your vacuum.
    3. if the hose is good, add the VCRT.
    4. Continue the process until you find the issue.

i don't do this process every time. i hook my rig up and test it. if there is a problem, i DO the process.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

2. Likes heatingman, Red Man liked this post
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    First if all he shouldn't expect to see a really low reading at the end of one 6 foot 1/2" hose. You may have seen pics of guys showing a low reading but that is after quite a bit of run time on a clean hose with a pump that can pull real low.

4. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    With just 2 appion hoses and core tools on a pump Id expect somewhere around 150 to 200 microns. Should get there in a few minutes. Anything less will take a long time.

Test the pump first. Core tool strait to the pump with a gauge adaptor. You should be able to go under 100 microns, ideally below 50 very quickly.

If you have a vacuum leak on the hoses, or a hose, your pump will struggle to even get to 1000 to 1500 microns - thats been my experience.

And make sure the ballast is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Okay. Sorry for the delay. I stayed up too late and therefore had a very late start. After a suitable waking up period I ran some tests. With just a micron gauge and brass adaptor hooked to the pump I got 18 microns.

With Appion 1/2" hose #1: 36s to 150 microns, 1:44 to 100 microns, 4:37 to 75 microns.

Hose #2: Test #1 1:47 to 150 microns, 8:46 to 100 microns, n/a to 75 microns.

Test #2 with fresh oil 54s to 150 microns, 3:40 to 100 microns, 12:06 to 75 microns.

Appion VCRT #1: 30s to 38 microns.

Appion VCRT #2: 30s to 63 microns.

Both VCRTs were still dropping after 30 seconds but I figured that shows that they both are operating as they should. #2 was starting to stall at 23 microns after about 2 minutes but I am completely satisfied with that.

Post Likes
    I tried spraying keyboard cleaner up and down hose #2 throughout the test and could not see any effect on the micron gauge. I know it pulled down pretty low, but the fact that it took so much longer than hose #1 makes me wonder what the difference is. Is there a tiny, tiny leak or maybe some refrigerant oil trapped in there? Out of the 20 or so system vacuums I've pulled with these so far only 5 have been repairs. The rest were new systems where we pulled a new lineset. I've been closing the core tools before shutting off the pump so I dont think its vacuum oil.

Post Likes
    Those tests all sound good to me. Why do you think you have a vacuum leak? Hose number 2 probably has oil or moisture. It’s off gassing more than hose 1 for some reason.

Post Likes
    Originally I noticed the vacuum struggling around 700 microns. It would pull below 800, get to around 710 and then lose vacuum up to about 800. I let it do that for a few minutes in case it was moisture or something. After messing with the ball valves on the core tools I noticed that if I left one hose shut off from the system then it would pull to target level. I tried to open the "leaky" hose a few times during this process and it would repeatedly disrupt the vacuum. I marked this hose with a zip tie to keep track of it. The next vacuum was the same problem. It started at around 460 and isolating the marked hose from the vacuum rig let me pull the system to 177 with one hose. On the third system (which I performed on friday), it stalled around 1100 microns. I grew frustrated and ended up using a 1/4 charging hose along with the 1/2 inch hose that didnt seem problematic. After this is when I started thinking about maybe using silicone on the fittings and crimps. But after all the tests I put it through last night and today, I can't really see any evidence of a leak. I know I'm probably just worrying too much about nothing but I really am trying to give the customers their money's worth on repairs and new installs by insuring a proper evacuation.

Post Likes
    You likely just had a loose hose fitting on your system or something. Also, don’t discount the male flare having a dent or some other damage/debris where you connect your hose. I use a vet small dab of refrigeration oil on my hose gaskets just before connecting my hoses. This allows the gasket/oring to slide on the fitting rather than grabbing really well and distorting.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Originally I noticed the vacuum struggling around 700 microns. It would pull below 800, get to around 710 and then lose vacuum up to about 800. I let it do that for a few minutes in case it was moisture or something. After messing with the ball valves on the core tools I noticed that if I left one hose shut off from the system then it would pull to target level. I tried to open the "leaky" hose a few times during this process and it would repeatedly disrupt the vacuum. I marked this hose with a zip tie to keep track of it. The next vacuum was the same problem. It started at around 460 and isolating the marked hose from the vacuum rig let me pull the system to 177 with one hose. On the third system (which I performed on friday), it stalled around 1100 microns. I grew frustrated and ended up using a 1/4 charging hose along with the 1/2 inch hose that didnt seem problematic. After this is when I started thinking about maybe using silicone on the fittings and crimps. But after all the tests I put it through last night and today, I can't really see any evidence of a leak. I know I'm probably just worrying too much about nothing but I really am trying to give the customers their money's worth on repairs and new installs by insuring a proper evacuation.
    Was this on repair work, or new equipment, and did the hose in question happen to be on the suction side during each problem pull down?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Was this on repair work, or new equipment, and did the hose in question happen to be on the suction side during each problem pull down?

The 700 ish issue was a repair, the 460 was a new Bosch system and the 1100 was a repair.

Post Likes
    The hose was on the liquid line on all three

Post Likes
    On the times where it stalled, then you valved off, and it pulled low, did you do a vacuum decay test?

Post Likes
    Yeah. The Bosch pulled to 177 and stabilized at 239. The 700 repair was a compressor replacement with new filter drier and it pulled down to around 350 and stayed below 700 where the decay rate dropped to 0.0 /second. The 1100 was a new indoor coil and drier on a heat pump. It pulled down to 400 ish and then I was kind of worried about it so I timed it’s rose over 10 minutes. Decay rate lowered to .2 / second around 800 and after 10 minutes it was barely over 900 with decay of between .1 and .2 s second.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast