Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Online they have a flare plug. In the store I bought a 3/8 flare x 1/4 NPT fitting, 1/4 NPT x 1/4 NPT coupling, 1/4 NPT x 1/4 Flare. I also bought a 3/8 Flare x 3/8 NPT as well as a 3/8 NPT Plug. I figured I'd braze them together, but as soon as I fired up the torches I felt some rain on my back so I quickly packed it all up.

Post Likes
    Well, I guess I'm just crazy. I ended up using a 3/8 flare union and hooked them to my testos and put them under 150 psi of nitro. 1/3 of a bottle of big blue later, and I can't find any leaks. I even submerged them in a large bucket of water. I found a leak in my nitro hose, but not the appions. I thought maybe it was the core tools then. After the same process I found nada. Zip. The testos are still decreasing (4 tenths in 5 mins), but I can't see any escaping bubbles of misery. Oh how I miss the blissful days of ignorance..."Well, I had the gauges set on the high mark of 150 and they havent moved in ten minutes, so I think we're good."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    ...Its been a few months so I dont remember exact numbers but it wasnt able to pull past 200 microns.
    This is your “leak”. If your pump can’t pull past 200, your system won’t get there either. Change your vacuum pump oil every time you use it.

setup your rig, put your micron on gage on the pump, start the pump and check how well you can low your setup goes while connected to the system but with the system valves CLOSED. If it isn’t very far, you are wasting time. If you can pull down to 50-ish microns, you are probably going to be good to go.

I have wasted many days by not checking my setup while pulling a vacuum over night just to find out that a gasket fell out of my hose, I didn’t tighten a hose or a copper washer wasn’t centered, etc. it only takes another minute or so to double check your setup.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    This is your “leak”. If your pump can’t pull past 200, your system won’t get there either. Change your vacuum pump oil every time you use it.

setup your rig, put your micron on gage on the pump, start the pump and check how well you can low your setup goes while connected to the system but with the system valves CLOSED. If it isn’t very far, you are wasting time. If you can pull down to 50-ish microns, you are probably going to be good to go.

I have wasted many days by not checking my setup while pulling a vacuum over night just to find out that a gasket fell out of my hose, I didn’t tighten a hose or a copper washer wasn’t centered, etc. it only takes another minute or so to double check your setup.
    The pump that couldnt pull below 200 was my boss's old Super Evac. I'm currently using a Fieldpiece VP85 (also have a VP55).

Point taken about double checking the rig though. Usually when I'm at the vacuum stage I'm already in a time crunch and/or frustrated with lack of helper. I'm naturally a slow worker so I am always worrying about how long it takes me to complete a job. I've been really trying to get faster through better use of time and efficiency. My boss is of the old school "blow and go" mindset. I've convinced him that "we" should take our time and do things right the first time, but only by spending a bunch of my personal funds on tools to do it right. I really enjoy this site because the guys on here care about doing a good job. It gives me something to work towards.

5. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    X2^^^
    Also the hose gaskets are very important. These WILL leak. I keep spare 3/8 and 1/4 hose gaskets on my truck. Don’t use much but when you need one it’s a life saver. Also remember trapped gas (air, refrigerant, a fart) of any kind will raise the micron reading. Try a 3X evac with n2. I like testing on a large evap coil, more like real system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    So now you can pull the hose down under vacuum? I've tested things that leak under vacuum and seal up with positive pressure.

Post Likes
    No, i havent tested it under vacuum yet. but now im paranoid. gotta go set up the rig.

Post Likes
    This is the vacuum test for 2 Appion 1/2 hoses, 2 Appion VCRT's, and 3/8 flare union. After about 45 minutes progress slowed to a halt so I blanked off from the pump. *note* I closed and opened both ball valves on the VCRT's during pulldown to get rid of excess air. Looks like a fail to me.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Apparently I cant post a video. Oh well, its too late. Ill try in the morning.

Post Likes
    The isolation valve on the pump is not meant to hold vacuum, just to keep the oil from getting sucked out of the pump. If you’re doing a test on just your hoses, you’re looking for a vacuum below 100 microns, preferably below 50, and don’t bother with a decay test. It won’t hold a vacuum that deep. You need something with a larger volume to hold vacuum, like a clean recovery tank, and it needs to be isolated with a vacuum rated core removal tool.

Post Likes
    Okay. Im using a valve core tool to isolate from the pump. I thought 10 ft of 1/2 inch hose would be enough volume to test it. Well, I try to learn something new every day and I think that would qualify. I guess the fact that the hoses wouldnt go below 100 then there might be an issue. I tried the keyboard spray before I blanked off the pump but did not notice any fluctuations on the micron gauge.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Probably not a leak. In the hose.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast