Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Appion Hose Issues

Hi all. I'm a new member of HVAC talk. I've been in the trade for a while but when I was trained I was not taught about proper vacuuming practices. For a few years I just checked with nitro and then put the vacuum pump on the system and let it run for at least 45 mins through my gauge manifold. My boss mentioned using a micron gauge to check for leaks on an existing lineset but I had no idea how to use it and honestly neither did he. I prided myself on following proper procedure so it bothered me to find out all the things I didn't know about and was doing wrong. So I did some research and found out about the BluVac and Megaflow kit. The only vacuum pump I had access to was my boss's old YJ Super Evac that I found out could not pull a micron gauge below 250. I purchased a Fieldpiece VP55 and two sets of Megaflow basics kit. Along with the BlueVac I was very satisfied with pulling vacuums. However, on the last 3 vacuums I pulled I noticed I couldn't pull past 700. After some experimenting with shutting off ball valves I found that the Appion hose was leaking. Has anyone had this happen to them and how should I go about fixing it? I was thinking of putting silicone around the hose fittings and crimps but I thought I would ask for advice first. To anyone that has read this far: thank you for your time and hopefully your help.

Post Likes
    Where are the hoses leaking?

Did you try changing oil on the super evac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I dont honestly know. I suspect it is where the hose adapter meets the crimp fitting. The copper tube seems looser than it was when new. Do you have any suggestions on how to trace a vacuum leak? I guess I could pressurize it with nitro but I didnt want to subject it to positive pressure.
    On the super evac: we did change the oil. But it has been ridden hard and put away wet for many years due to ignorance by any and all techs who have used it.

Post Likes
    The appion megaflow hose is pressure rated, so if it is in-fact leaking - you should find it that way.

Take a look at the hose ends - the little o-rings. That would be the most likely leak source.

The hose is pretty solid, so I doubt it has a leak.

Gauge strait to pump, what does it pull?

Post Likes
    Will the pump pull vacuum with the micron gauge attached directly to the pump? Are the hose gaskets good? I wouldn’t be afraid to pressurize the hose with nitrogen to leak check it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    The appion megaflow hose is pressure rated, so if it is in-fact leaking - you should find it that way.

Take a look at the hose ends - the little o-rings. That would be the most likely leak source.

The hose is pretty solid, so I doubt it has a leak.

Gauge strait to pump, what does it pull?

You beat me to it

7. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Okay, ill get up off of my rear and check the hoses with some nitrogen. I guess I was paranoid about screwing up my hoses.
    The last time I checked the YJ pump was with a Fieldpiece micrometer screwed onto the 1/4 inch port with a brass cap on the 3/8 port. Its been a few months so I dont remember exact numbers but it wasnt able to pull past 200 microns.

Post Likes
    As for the o-rings I have some new ones to put in but the "old" ones are in there pretty good and I keep forgetting to get a small pick to remove them. The thing is, the hoses are only 2 months old and I never use a wrench to tighten them so they dont appear torn or damaged.

Post Likes
    If the gaskets look good, they usually are. I use a control screwdriver and/or needle nose pliers to replace them.

Post Likes
    *gasp* the horror! All that soft brass just begging to be nicked and deformed. 😁 I use the same technique on my charging hoses but Im trying to treat the appoints like they are royalty so I figured Id try something more gentle. Probably overkill, huh?

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Spray air duster on the suspected leak while attached to the vacuum pump and gauge running at the ultimate steady vacuum. You should see a spike in the reading if you have a vacuum leak.

13. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for your help guys. After walking to my van I realized I had no means of capping the 3/8 side of hoses. After a quick trip to lowes(where i also picked up some keyboard cleaner) I started to assemble the assorted flare adapters to cap off one end. Due to lack of garage or similar indoor fire resistant work space i had to take a break because of rain. Guess I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Lowes does not sell a 3/8 flare plug?

Or better yet, a flare union?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast