Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    We have a 30 ton 100% outside air unit at the hospital I work at, it's for a sterile processing lab. ( in alabama). All other units, even for operating rooms have recirc air with minimum outside air and very strict humidity parameters.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    No, all the RTU's do recirculate return air with a minimum of 10% outside air. There are 2- 30 ton Addison outdoor simair units that do no recirculation. They attempt to pull the moisture from 100% outside air, before it pushes it in the store. There is also a 12 ton Munters unit that recurs less air mixed with outdoor air. 2sac yes !
    I'm not sure of the logic behind using 100% outdoor air to condition the stores. Addison's concept is interesting. Whether or not it's functional is a different story. They have 2 tech support guys who are on the ball and their customer service sucks.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    If the 2 100% OA units meet the fresh air requirements of the common areas they serve. Can you set the controls of the other RTUs that serve those areas to 0 OA.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbowhvac View Post
    We have a 30 ton 100% outside air unit at the hospital I work at, it's for a sterile processing lab. ( in alabama). All other units, even for operating rooms have recirc air with minimum outside air and very strict humidity parameters.
    You might want to check that!

Operating Theaters are 100% OA and Positive Pressure at all times. You never want to take a chance of recirculating germs!

5. Likes mcr liked this post
    Post Likes
    Nope; we leave that to the staff to accomplish. And damn are they good at it.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You might want to check that!

Operating Theaters are 100% OA and Positive Pressure at all times. YOU NEVER WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE OF RECIRCULATING GERMS!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

7. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have worked in a few operating rooms, both in hospitals and surgery centers and often see systems with recirc and fixed OA. Most of these share multiple ORs. They are kept at a positive pressure. What good is positive pressure when its sharing air from another OR? Do they feel that the ORs are sterile enough that as long as air from common areas doesn't enter they are safe.

Post Likes
    We have 18 operating rooms, most are on chilled water air handlers, some are dx units. None of them are 100% OA. All of them are positive pressure, de contamination area is negative pressure. These rooms are at 65-67 degree temps with humidity requirements, when it's 110 on the roof, would be hard to mainaint 65 dog with positive pressures in the OR suite, (includes hallways into the OR's).

Didn't mean to hijack thread. We need to have one on hospitals and sterile areas, I would love to know what other hospitals use.

Post Likes
    OR's require a certain amount of Air changes per hour, and positive pressure.....along with temp. and humidity specs.

there are lots of medical facilities that don't meet current requirements. if they don't change the original equipment design, they can remain on some of the original requirements....but if they change anything from original they are required to meet the newest standards. So, all of us are going to see something different.

Post Likes
    The hospital where I worked at had 100% outside air in the old suite. Reheat coils in each OR and 1 AHU as big as a ranch house. We had difficulty more with the Docs complaining about comfort than humidity issues. Then they built a separate surgery ctr. a few miles away for same day surgery and colonoscopys. 1 AHU served the whole bldg. I believe the OA damper min pos. was 10%. 1 Trane DX air cooled chiller took care of everything With reheats for the spaces and 1 main reheat coil in the AHU. Right in the middle of cotton wood country!

Guy who took care of bldg controls ran that chiller as low as he could run it to take care of humidity. Place was freezing!

He retired and I took over.Trane came in and replaced all of the humidity sensors as they were over 8 years old. Now humidity would go off the charts on a hot rainy day. I had Trane come in and reprogram everything so I could monitor OR temps and humidtiy from the hospital. I was able to add the capability to add reheat at the main coil to control humidity while also raising the chilled water temp so the staff and patients wern't freezing.

They built a new main OR with 100 % OA and a Munters unit that never worked right from day 1. We had to run the chiller all year long to maintain temps and humidity. No back up chiller and no back up cooling tower. Running it in the winter was an adventure. and when the Munters unit or chiller went down, all hell broke loose.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes
    Yea all of ours are new units except a 20 year old dx unit that feeds 2 rooms. All are min 10% oa with pre heat and re heat as well as re heat boxes before each room. Humidity is hard to control at temps below 67 without a special set up.
    Our units only control the operating rooms and the steril hallways. We have 6 units feeding 18 rooms.
    Siemens controls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12