Post Likes

CH24EA series steamers , Question??

I am learning the kitchen side of everything and was working with a guy looking at a Vulcan stacked steamer. Was told the steamer was not working properly , when we got there( keep in mind I am new to this side of the buisness) you could turn the top steamer on and it would work fine, then cut the bottom steamer on a few moments later and it would work fine or as it should, if you cut them on at the same time , the top cavity would fill with water and pretty much leak out or better yet pour when you opened the door. The bottom cavity would start knocking fairly loud so the guy I was with would turn it off . My question, I have been looking through the manual for the machine just getting familiar with the cycle of operation and all that , but for some of you out there who have experience on this what are your thoughts or suggestions? Why would one fill with water while the other is starved, what would cause the bottom to knock when there running simultaneously, maybe the pressure and lack of water ? Why would the top tank nearly flood with water, etc.....Thanks

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I don't think the model # you provided is correct. Maybe they're C24EA series steamers? That's the closest I can find in the Vulcan Equipment resource center:
    https://resources.itwfeg.com/sites/r...can-wolf/steam

They list floor models (cabinet based) and countertop models in that series. So you have two countertop units stacked, correct? If so, I assume the drains are tied together. The drain would be the only commonality of the two steamers, since each of the steamers are otherwise self-contained.

I'd first assess the condition of the drain.
    • Make sure the drain system is properly vented.
    • Make sure the drain pipe is properly sized - 1 1/2".
    • Make sure the drain pipe has adequate slope downward so none of it can create a trap.
    • Operate the steamers individually and make sure water freely flows out to the floor drain when a given steamer is turned OFF.
    • Pour copious amounts of water into each steamer's cooking compartment to check for free flow of the drain that way.

If the drain system checks out good, then commence troubleshooting the steamers individually. The first thing I always do is remove and inspect their water probes for scale buildup. Scale can become an insulator OR a short to ground for a probe - depending on the circumstances existing in there. A fouled probe therefore cause an overfilling situation (usually) or a dry-fire situation (rarely-but I've seen it happen a time or two).
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I should add that, if you don't see proper drainage from the steam generators...but you DO see good flow from water poured into the cooking compartment, then scale is probably built up inside the relevant generator and preventing drainage. If so, then you'll really have no other option other than removing the top of a steam generator to scrape/vacuum out the scale. Additionally, you'll want to check and clear out any scale buildup from all the OTHER ports entering or the leaving the generator. Those include the water IN port, the steam OUT port(s)...and the port for the water level probe enclosure.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -