+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plasma ionic air cleaner??

Post Likes
    I have doubts about GPS claims of VOC reduction.
    Here's a quote from GPS's website:

"The ions breakdown harmful VOCs with an Electron Volt Potential under twelve (eV<12) into harmless compounds like O2, CO2, N2, and H2O."

Very sciency sounding but very unscientific. Electron Volt Potential does not refer to the ability to break down VOCs into harmless components but to ionize different molekules. This simply means that outer shell electorns are added or subtracted. There is no breakdown of the molekule into simpler components. Now there may be some advantages of ionization -(1) smaller stuff will stick together to make bigger stuff and fall to the ground or be captured by filters, but good HEPA filters are probably better (2) Ionizing small biologicals "might" disrupt cell membranes and kill the bugs in questions. How effectively this is done is not clear.

But Ions, by themselves, will not *breakdown* VOCs, contrary to GPS's claim. I could be wrong and am willing to test with instrumentation if I could be my hands on a unit. I approached GPS about this and they said they already know it works and don't need my input. They pointed me to some data on their web site but it was double speak nonsense.

Non Therma Plasma has been shown to reduce VOCs in scientific studies but these applications differ significantly from GPS approach. This devices use very intense electric fields in what amount to a gigantic capacitor usually with a catalyst of some sort. In this approach Hydroxlys are generated and these can breakdown VOCs to simpler elements. Usually these approaches also generate Ozone at the same time. The fact that GPS doesn't generate ozone, which they use as a selling point, also raises doubt about their ability to produce Hydroxyls.

If all it took was a 12 EVP to destroy VOCs, UVC lights could be used for the same purpose but UVC does not breakdown VOCs.

All the above is not to say that GPS does not reduce particulates (probably not as good as HEPAs though) or can sometimes kill biologicals (like UVC does) but their claims for VOC reduction are unfounded.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's easy to test - why hasn't GPS shown this. They like to advertise how they can prevent mold growth in a small fish tank or reduce cigarette smoke in same said fish tank. Why haven't the showed the same about VOCs. Also demonstrating effectiveness in a fish tank makes for impressive Youtube video's but it's a far cry from a real living space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinyork View Post
    what is the difference between GPS and CPG (cold plasma generator)?
    No difference. Same technilogy

Post Likes
    Is a BlueAir classic air purifier the same tech? They make larger Pro models for large spaces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
    Is a BlueAir classic air purifier the same tech? They make larger Pro models for large spaces.
    Info on the web the BlueAir classic models include:
    1. Large CFM capability
    2. HEPA filtration - for particulates not VOCs
    3. Electro Static grill to negatively charge particulates and collect on positive charge plate. Works for particulates not VOC
    4. Carbon filters. They don't specify size. These are effective for VOCs. Depending on the specific VOC effectiveness will vary.
    Keep in mind Carbon will lose effectiveness much sooner that manufacturers know or realize.

GPS might be more effective for biologicals near the unit, but less effective for non-biological particulates and VOCs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in