Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hepservice View Post

The GPS/Nu-Calgon iWave-M box states, "Reduces VOC's".
    Yes - I know. And that is one of the underlying themes of my post. Manufactures are making claims that aren't supported.

My initial investigation started with MoleKule. Unlike GPS they were very supportive. After I posted negative findings on HVAC, they contacted me directly and made sincere efforts to resolve discrepancies. They worked with me for months with some capital expense at their end and no expense at my end. I was Impressed to say the least. Still I never saw any VOC reductions. At my last communication with them I requested they perform the same test I did. Find a residential living space with elevated VOC (>1300 ng/liter) and perform before and after VOC testing (with a PID meter and/or GC/MS). Some months later they reported a very impressive results from a 3rd party testing facility they commissioned. RGF has done similar studies. Unfortunately these studies are contrived and do not match what is found in our homes and offices. They use extremely small spaces with mixtures of a extremely high levels of just of few VOCs. This is not what we find in homes. In fact the science literature has criticized the testing of these devices for just that reason.

Here's a quote from an scientific journal article reviewing this technology:
    "Currently most studies demonstrate their VOCs removal efficiency in a high concentration level (e.g., ppmv). More on-site demonstrations should be conducted in order to prove the efficiency in removal of indoor VOCs in realistic environments (e.g., residential and work spaces)."
    Ref: https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/1/56/htm

All these companies need to do is perform testing in real environments to demonstrate effectiveness (for VOCs - these devices might work for biologicals). Not only would this resolve doubts about the technology in our homes, its much, much cheaper than a artificial lab test. My hunch is that the manufacturers do not do this because they know the results would be lackluster at best.

I've seen a report from GPS demonstrating VOC reduction and I was not impressed. It was a convoluted collection of data that was impossible for me to make heads or tails of. Granted this might be due to a lousy presentation and I stand to be corrected.

You seem to be an evidence sort of guy. You can do the same tests I did.
    I'll be more than happy to provide details on testing equipment and procedures. It's not that expensive.
    You could also provide before and after testing with a customer (cost about ~150 bucks for accurate lab testing for VOCs.

The GPS device can be easily testing in a closed room with a fan moving air behind it. I planned on doing just that. I told GPS I would report the results to them and I wouldn't post my finding without their approval.My only request was to return the device for a refund if it didn't work. They refused. They said they know the device worked and weren't interested in what I found.

It's interesting the GPS has a number of demonstrations on Youtube showing effectiveness for smoke and moldy bread in itty bitty containers, but no data showing anything about VOCs. Hum??

I'd really like to see more folks (especially professionals like you) test and then confront the manufactures. At that point they would have to put up or shut up.

2. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hepservice View Post

The GPS/Nu-Calgon iWave-M box states, "Reduces VOC's".
    For clarity - My post concern VOCs, not particulates (objects >.01 microns). VOCs are a different animal all together than particulates.
    DSS - is generated by biologicals (a particulate). The smell might be VOCs, but it generated by living particulates. Kill the biological and the smell should eventually go away.

GPS might be effective against biologicals - I don't know. My concern is VOCS and that's where my doubts are concerning these devices.

4. Likes Core_d liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12