Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 470

Thread: Which system is correctly charged?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Receiver is there to account for varying loads.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions,

    If the receiver will not hold the charge it is to small.

    Receiver also needs to hold any required winter charge thru warm months.

    If it can't, it is to small.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions
    Not disagreeing with that.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    if I charged them they would both be right it wouldnt matter the ambient temperature I charged them in ...... thats why it is a pointless question .....

    #yeahimthatgood
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-06-2018 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    27,737
    Post Likes
    But wouldn't a higher head pressure force more of the refrigerant into a liquid state?

    PHM
    -----------


    Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    Since the sight glass is full at 70 degrees and not 95 degrees could the condenser be dirty. It is condensing the gas at 70 degrees because of the cooler ambient but isn't at the higher temperature because of the condition of the condenser coil.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    681
    Post Likes
    .

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    681
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    if I charged them they would both be right it wouldnt matter the ambient temperature I charged them in ...... thats why it is a pointless question .....

    #yeahimthatgood

    ???

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    ???
    could Rembrandt describe how he paints a picture ? I am sure there is a complicated mathematical formula that only ICE knows .. to me it is an art .... I charge a TXV system differently each time depending on the current ambient temperature and load, and the expected ambient temperature and load .... I also take into consideration the superheat I am running and the box temperature I am trying to hold, and a " hot box ", but how often do you have a " hot box " anyhow ? ... so long as I have enough refrigerant to drop the box temperature could care less if there are some bubbles in the sight glass when I have a " hot box ", its a judgement call, sometimes I add more, sometimes I add less .... I would rather go lighter on the charge in anticipation of high ambient temperature or a dirty condensor coil ...

    not to mention, I run 417c for medium temperature, you are not even supposed to clear the glass ....

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    28,790
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    could Rembrandt describe how he paints a picture ? I am sure there is a complicated mathematical formula that only ICE knows .. to me it is an art .... I charge a TXV system differently each time depending on the current ambient temperature and load, and the expected ambient temperature and load .... I also take into consideration the superheat I am running and the box temperature I am trying to hold, and a " hot box ", but how often do you have a " hot box " anyhow ? ... so long as I have enough refrigerant to drop the box temperature could care less if there are some bubbles in the sight glass when I have a " hot box ", its a judgement call, sometimes I add more, sometimes I add less .... I would rather go lighter on the charge in anticipation of high ambient temperature or a dirty condensor coil ...

    not to mention, I run 417c for medium temperature, you are not even supposed to clear the glass ....
    W O W

    We have a Rembrandt amongst us!

    I am truly honored!

    Personally you seem more like a Jackson Pollock but....

  8. Likes BALloyd, stat, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
  9. #48
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    27,448
    Post Likes
    .



    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,970
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smithryan2101 View Post
    general rule of thumb with a receiver that is charged to a 3/4 sight glass wait till temperature in the Box gets down and then Clear Sight glass doesn't matter what ambient. Then check for proper txv superheat and walk away.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    m

    This method will not work on a system with a headmaster, unless ambient is as low as it gets.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    27,448
    Post Likes
    You guys gotta get back to the original thought experiment.

    Go back and read the OP.

    If she's hot under the sheets when it's cold, is she cold under the sheets when it's hot. Oh. Wait a minute. Wrong thread.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    9,765
    Post Likes
    If the Guru says she's normal than gotdangit she's normal
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Your dream is your dream. It's nobody else's dream. You're going to have to do it for yourself"

  13. Likes BALloyd, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
  14. #52
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    27,448
    Post Likes
    I've had a couple of normal chicks.

    Less than half may have considered me less than normal. The other half . . . . Wait. Where am I going with this?

    As per the OP, I don't need to tell you anything that I consider normal. Jeez, there's not an Emoji suited for your attitude.

    Wish there was one.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    If the Guru says she's normal than gotdangit she's normal
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  15. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    28,790
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've had a couple of normal chicks.

    Less than half may have considered me less than normal. The other half . . . . Wait. Where am I going with this?

    As per the OP, I don't need to tell you anything that I consider normal. Jeez, there's not an Emoji suited for your attitude.

    Wish there was one.
    Normal chicks are like normal pressures.......


    No Such Thing!

  16. Likes VanMan812, BALloyd, Red Man, HVAC_Marc, BennyD liked this post.
  17. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    9,765
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Normal chicks are like normal pressures.......


    No Such Thing!
    Post of the year
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Your dream is your dream. It's nobody else's dream. You're going to have to do it for yourself"

  18. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
  19. #55
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    m

    This method will not work on a system with a headmaster, unless ambient is as low as it gets.
    Touche I'm in Atlanta don't have many head masters most all is fan cycling

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  20. Likes Red Man liked this post.
  21. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,189
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smithryan2101 View Post
    Touche I'm in Atlanta don't have many head masters most all is fan cycling
    Since systems are made for the whole country there are indeed many headmasters in Atlanta. They come standard on most Heatcraft and Trenton outdoor units, and on most outdoor ice machine condensers just for starters.

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Receiver is there to account for varying loads.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions,

    If the receiver will not hold the charge it is to small.

    Receiver also needs to hold any required winter charge thru warm months.

    If it can't, it is to small.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions

    not trying to argue, but one could argue ....... depending on how the system is piped and where the sight glass is located that some of the " bubbles " in the sight glass could only be a degree or two away from condensing, maybe even just a half degree, and by the time they hit the TXV they would probably be condensed ..... so someone could be adding refrigerant when it is unnecessary to ....

    only running around 5 - 10 degrees subcooling anyhow .....

    you make a good point .... however I was taught that having " some " bubbles in the sight glass under a high load is normal ..... what is " some bubbles " ? ...... I guess if you are watching your gauges and your temperatures then you make a running calculation in your head as to whether or not there are " too many bubbles " in the sight glass to not be able to drop the box temperature as quickly as desired ..... as mentioned my concern is leaving a cushion for higher ambient or a possible dirty condensing coil ...

    but TXVs with receivers are not " critically charged " systems anyhow ....
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Receiver is there to account for varying loads.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions,

    If the receiver will not hold the charge it is to small.

    Receiver also needs to hold any required winter charge thru warm months.

    If it can't, it is to small.

    Sight glass needs to be clear under all conditions
    might also be able to argue that a " hot box " does not require the same size capacity equipment to lower the box temperature into the 50s or 40s as it does to get it into the 30s ....

    not discounting what you are saying because it makes a lot of sense ...
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    TXV systems with a receiver are not critically charged systems anyhow so this is probably just a big nothing burger ....

    just get it " about right " .... sure most decent techs know how to do that ....

    my answer is :

    " systems 1 and 2 could both be " about right " "

    final answer ....

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,189
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    not trying to argue, but one could argue ....... depending on how the system is piped and where the sight glass is located that some of the " bubbles " in the sight glass could only be a degree or two away from condensing, maybe even just a half degree, and by the time they hit the TXV they would probably be condensed ..... so someone could be adding refrigerant when it is unnecessary to ....
    This is wrong. No condensing happens after the sight glass, if anything, due to pressure drop, more bubbles will appear.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •