+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Not to Unload a 8' Brake

Post Likes

How Not to Unload a 8' Brake

Embarrassed to post this but maybe it will help someone out. I finally found a 8' Brake to replace my 4' tennsmith, highlo used to load it however I had nothing to unload it. It was my intention to jack up the rear, use 2 crate dollies, tilt the trailer down, and slide it off. I got it 2" up off the deck when it began tipping and as I found out, there was no stopping it. My intentions were not smart and could have been much worse. My leg was pinched, got out, went to hospital, thankfully no broken bones, just heavy bruising and swollen, occurred 5 days ago and still have a limp. The picture of my leg did not do justice, it swelled huge, and my ankle was dark after a few hours.

A proper way to do this after I done some trouble shooting the same day...Call a tow truck company! I called a couple excavator companies but they all wanted way too much (Understandable). Ended up paying $150 for the tow truck and I did not even need to mess with it.

Post Likes
    Ouchie! I hate when stuff like this happens, and it usually happens to a one man band (like me). If it were me, I'd mount that on either a stake body or a small, low open trailer and just work off the trailer, as opposed to trying to haul it, load it/unload it from a closed in trailer.
    Or have some muscle meet you at the job, which I know isn't easy or convenient to coordinate.
    Glad it wasn't worse.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Ouchie! I hate when stuff like this happens, and it usually happens to a one man band (like me). If it were me, I'd mount that on either a stake body or a small, low open trailer and just work off the trailer, as opposed to trying to haul it, load it/unload it from a closed in trailer.
    Or have some muscle meet you at the job, which I know isn't easy or convenient to coordinate.
    Glad it wasn't worse.
    This brake is staying in the shop, it will not be traveling to jobs. I work local so all my sheetmetal is done back at my shop (Garage). When I get a box truck or bigger trailer I may install the 4' inside that to do small sheet metal work on the job. Yes, I am a one man band aswell and it certainly makes things difficult at times.

Post Likes
    My hobby is metal working... I have a metal working machine shop at my home.

Moving a 1500# mill or a 1200# lathe is not easy... thankfully I have both of them on stands that have outrigger wheel attachments (custom made the stands).

At the hobby machinist forum (google it)... there are lots of threads about moving machines...
    CAREFULLY is the general idea... grin!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Better bolt it down or run longer timbers under the legs because it's so top heavy. Glad you weren't hurt any more than you were.

Post Likes
    Thanks for posting jhosk.

Might keep one of us from making the same mistake.

7. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Better bolt it down or run longer timbers under the legs because it's so top heavy. Glad you weren't hurt any more than you were.
    Was planning on removing the timbers and bolting it to the concrete once it finds its exact resting place. They are very very top heavy, and we all know this, but we all have done stupid, hopefully like scoobie said, might keep someone from loosing a leg.

Post Likes
    We hired a roll back to pick up our used 8 ft brake. He dragged it on the deck with his winch and gravity and his winch slid it off onto the shop floor. It took 4 of us to push it to the final resting place. Being on wooden 4x4 blocks helped with moving it.

Post Likes
    When I had may break and shear delivered, I had them delivered to the supply house so they could be unloaded with a fork lift.

I then called a tow truck company with a roll back to pick them up and deliver them to my shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in