Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    How big was the solar heater water storage tank?

Did you happen the notice the solar tank's temperature?

What size are the solar panels and how many panels?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoskins View Post
    Completed this job this week, going back once more for equipment startups and connecting the main to the meter once it is set (We do not know when). This job was unique because they have solar hot water, which was fed to the cold side of the tankless and isolated so either could be bypassed. It was also one of my bigger installs where the entire gas line was installed and contracted a Electrician for panel upgrade, A/C circuit and outside outlet. Used a 1.25" main and worked my way down. AHRI GSX 16 Seer 3-Ton Matched with a GMEC 2 Stage 80K ECM Furnace.

Helpful comments are always appreciated as I am always looking to improve even though I need to work on reducing time as well.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How big was the solar heater water storage tank?

Did you happen the notice the solar tank's temperature?

What size are the solar panels and how many panels?

PHM
    ---------
    Not how big was it, it is still their behind the furnace and still in use, The solar tank is feeding the tankless. It is 75-100 gallons and typically maintains 100 or more when I was there. Its all they have for water heating now and they seem to be doing fine. (No Natural gas in the house yet). I know nothing else about the solar system, cant even see the panels from the ground or using google maps. I spoke with navien regarding the use of pre heated solar water and they were not concerned at all. The plumbing arrangement allows the customer to use just solar water heating, solar feeding tankless, or tankless only.

Post Likes
    The trap part isn't code, it just works better. Even if you just had a tee open at the top where the drain comes out of the furnace it would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoskins View Post
    I cant believe I did that to the drain line, I completely agree and see how that could flood the furnace. I'm still waiting on returning to do equipment start ups, they currently still do not have natural gas, waiting on the utility. That is easy to correct when I go back.

The fuel code stated the sediment trap shall be as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical, I thought I was doing good but I agree, I need to relocate the sediment tee and the 90 on the water heater. I honestly did not know it was a violation to pipe it like I did.

As far as greenfield comment, I laughed, I brought 20' of emt conduit for the furnace and water heater, I managed to bend the water heater okay, just required the one offset. I wasted 15' and 30 minutes trying to bend the conduit for the furnace. I concluded it is a skill learned over time bending conduit and I needed more practice. I searched the michigan electric code and found nothing on length of FMC aside 6' max for grounding purposes, where if it exceeds 6' you need to include a ground wire, which all of my work includes ground wires. If anyone disagrees please let me know as that is about 7'.

Post Likes
    Where was the oil tank, in the basement? if so did you have a hard time getting it out? What about the sludge accumulation on the bottom of the tank how did you get rid of it? Reason I asked, My brothers house recently went from oil to gas ( boiler ) We saws-all the tank in quarters ( as we could not get it out of house ) to get it out of the basement. Removed sludge and brought that to a dump station.

Same with the boiler, and associated parts, smashed the cast HX into smaller manageable pieces and left them in front of the house.....a lot of people living on the edge as those metal pieces where gone fast, a lot of competition I guess.

Wiped the inside of the tank pieces then brought to front of house. Scrapper/pickers in town driving around grabbed the metal. Wasn't out there to long.

Post Likes
    The oil tank was outside where the Air Conditioner sits, it was above ground. It was very easy for me to remove, I simply said to call the oil company to pick it up and they did . I might have hired that out if it were in the basement, not sure, definitely wouldn't feel comfortable cutting a oil tank apart but if they don't fit you don't have options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12