Post Likes

How to kill bacteria in a chiller.

We have a industrial water chiller and need to know what we should add to the water. The unit is a good 3 years old and nothing has ever been added to the water. Sent out water samples and have lots of bacteria. What can be added? Glycol, colloidal silver, copper, bromine, chlorine??? Not dealing with a huge amount of water. Probably less than 50 gallons.
    Tried calling Trane an no tech help available.
    Regards.

Post Likes
    Manufacturers of equipment tend to back away from water treatment. There is an entire industry devoted to this chemistry. Contact them for proper help.

there is a big safety difference between “some” bacteria and Legionella.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgnandt View Post
    We have a industrial water chiller and need to know what we should add to the water. The unit is a good 3 years old and nothing has ever been added to the water. Sent out water samples and have lots of bacteria. What can be added? Glycol, colloidal silver, copper, bromine, chlorine??? Not dealing with a huge amount of water. Probably less than 50 gallons.
    Tried calling Trane an no tech help available.
    Regards.
    Pipe a brominator tank, inlet to the discharge side of the pump and outlet to suction, make sure to use isolation and drain valves and fill it with bromine tables, try to maintain at least 0.5ppm free chlorine, buy a 5 gallons jug of Bellacide 350 and a pulsafeeder pump, start feeding one gallon per day, do the deepslide test a watch the bacteria count decrease and when the count drops to 10,000 cut the bellacide to 1/2 gallon per day, keep testing and when the dip slide show just a handful of pink dots trim the bellacide further down also keep the water conductivity bellow 1500 micromhos.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Appreciate the advice. Valdelocc. Reminder that our water capacity would be less that 50 gallons how would I know how much Bellacide 350 to maintain. I was previously thinking of colloidal silver but reading about Bellacide this is specifically made for chillers. I do know how to handle silver but not Bellacide. As for the 1500 micro ohms (assuming TDS level) wont be relevant at this time due to constant flushing. I'm figuring to install a tablet feeder (swimming pool type. Ventury driven) for 1" bromine tabs . Granular on hand to make for a fast 0.5ppm bromine level after flushing.
    Being in Arizona is there a need for a glycol solution?

Post Likes
    Appreciate the advice. Valdelocc. Reminder that our water capacity would be less that 50 gallons how would I know how much Bellacide 350 to maintain. I was previously thinking of colloidal silver but reading about Bellacide this is specifically made for chillers. I do know how to handle silver but not Bellacide. As for the 1500 micro ohms (assuming TDS level) wont be relevant at this time due to constant flushing. I'm figuring to install a tablet feeder (swimming pool type. Ventury driven) for 1" bromine tabs . Granular on hand to make for a fast 0.5ppm bromine level after flushing.
    Why is there Constant Flushing?

Post Likes
    Does this system have a open tank?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Does this system have a open tank?
    No open tank.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Why is there Constant Flushing?
    Flushing hasn't started yet. My thinking is to flush so we have a good starting point. Maintenance department is going to remove dead lines this weekend to eliminate stagnant water. We also don't have flow meters and am guessing flushing will take some time. I want to remove as much water as I can. I do have dip slides on order. And am suggesting to maintenance what info provided above. Lab test of our water came back which got me involved (the QA guy). Water is tested for coliforms. The plate count that came back was 3900/mL. Allowable is 500 in our situation. I would like to attempt to use dip slides just to see affect of my plan. Then send samples to the lab. AND establish a preventative maintenance plan for our maintenance department.

Post Likes
    At only 50gallon of water the 5 gallons of bellacide should last 6 months, buy a 1/4gallon/day pulsafeeder, you may not need the bromine, start with bellacide 355 and when the dipslide count drops switch to bellacide 350, 355 is highly corrosive while 350 is non oxidizing, dont flush randomly, do it by conductivity, you want to maintain steady chemical levels and flushing would waste and dilute the chemicals, if you going to oxidizing route add molybdenum for corrosion control. dont use glycol, it would make matters worst.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    At only 50gallon of water the 5 gallons of bellacide should last 6 months, buy a 1/4gallon/day pulsafeeder, you may not need the bromine, start with bellacide 355 and when the dipslide count drops switch to bellacide 350, 355 is highly corrosive while 350 is non oxidizing, dont flush randomly, do it by conductivity, you want to maintain steady chemical levels and flushing would waste and dilute the chemicals, if you going to oxidizing route add molybdenum for corrosion control. dont use glycol, it would make matters worst.
    Thanks again valdelocc.
    I'll hand this off to our maintenance. I got involved because the course of action was only to flush the system. 3 years of no chemicals in this chiller.
    We do have another smaller chiller and the water is running orange. Not hard to figure out what's going on there.