Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Daikin intelligent Touch Manager

Our favorite VRF company is back at it and seems to have an all new BACnet/IP product, new to me but been around a while. This Daikin intelligent Touch Manager has a color touch screen and reminds me of what Mitsubishi has had out for some time now. http://www.daikinac.com/content/comm...touch-manager/

"Special" things I've encountered with this after working with it for one day:

• The setpoint are not behaving right. Start with a cooling of 74 and heating of 70 with a "Min Setpoint Differential (Cooling & Heating)" of 2. If I write a heating setpoint of 68 the heating setpoint changes AND the cooling setpoint changes to 70, ignoring the previously written 74. If I then write a cooling 74 the heating will then change to 72. Seems like Daikin invented a whole new definition of "minimum", or the point description of "Min Setpoint Differential (Cooling & Heating)" is wrong and we need to know what that means. I could understand an enforced minimum setpoint separation but that is not what this is behaving like.
    • In BACnet discovery I don't see an obvious ON/OFF command point for the IDUs. The marketing cut sheet says there is one, and it has a status point for it. Nothing showed up in discovery that I'm seeing though. http://www.daikinac.com/content/asse...PF-iTMSERV.pdf
    • No idea what point description Thermo-on Status is. There is also an override for it.

In general we are communicating with the unit and can do some things but need these and possibly other questions answered. We will be reaching out to Daikin but if anyone knows anything about these please let me know, thanks.

Some odds and ends; ITM is a ROUTER and generates a network segment below it. Everything including the system panel will show under that network as individual devices which is rather nice. Even better the equipment names will come through in BACnet discovery. I assume there is some special software necessary to change device instances and network number as they can't seem to be changed on the screen? I haven't investigated this yet.

IDU discovered points, I find it mildly interesting that ALL points are numbered sequentially, regardless of type. Never seen that before. I haven't yet found a difference in points depending on different IDU types, for example if it isn't capable of airflow direction it will still have the point.

Code:
    Analog Input-5 Room Temperature 
    Analog Value-10 Max Cooling Setpoint 
    Analog Value-11 Min Cooling Setpoint 
    Analog Value-12 Max Heating Setpoint 
    Analog Value-13 Min Heating Setpoint 
    Analog Value-14 Min Setpoint Differential (Cooling & Heating)
    Analog Value-6 Occ Cooling Setpoint 
    Analog Value-7 Occ Heating Setpoint 
    Analog Value-8 Unocc Cooling Setpoint 
    Analog Value-9 Unocc Heating Setpoint 
    Binary Input-2 Unit On_Off Status 
    Binary Input-23 Filter Sign Status 
    Binary Input-25 Indoor Fan Status 
    Binary Input-26 Communication Status 
    Binary Input-27 Thermo-on Status 
    Binary Input-29 Aux Heater Status 
    Binary Input-3 Alarm Status 
    Binary Input-31 Indoor Unit Changeover Option 
    Binary Value-15 Cooling & Heating Setpoint Tracking Mode 
    Binary Value-18 Timed Override Operation 
    Binary Value-21 Remote Controller Prohibit (Operation Mode)
    Binary Value-22 Remote Controller Prohibit (Setpoint)
    Binary Value-24 Filter Sign Reset 
    Binary Value-30 Forced Thermo-off 
    Multistate Input-19 Current Unit Operation 
    Multistate Input-28 Compressor Status 
    Multistate Output-1 Occupancy Mode 
    Multistate Value-16 Fan Speed 
    Multistate Value-17 Airflow Direction 
    Multistate Value-20 Remote Controller Prohibit (On_Off)
    Multistate Value-4 Operation Mode
    The key value pair for airflow direction is meaningless to me, everything else contains values that make plain sense.

Code:
    Keys	Values
    1	P0
    2	P1
    3	P2
    4	P3
    5	P4
    6	Reserved
    7	Reserved
    8	P7
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Appreciate the heads up. Asia has some interesting implementation of BACnet and controls standards / language / descriptions.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Thermo-on Status
    I believe this indicates if IDU is presently and actively either heating or cooling

Forced Thermo-off
    I believe this is like forcing a fan only mode and disabling both heating and cooling of that IDU

good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    The setpoint are not behaving right. Start with a cooling of 74 and heating of 70 with a "Min Setpoint Differential (Cooling & Heating)" of 2. If I write a heating setpoint of 68 the heating setpoint changes AND the cooling setpoint changes to 70, ignoring the previously written 74. If I then write a cooling 74 the heating will then change to 72. Seems like Daikin invented a whole new definition of "minimum", or the point description of "Min Setpoint Differential (Cooling & Heating)" is wrong and we need to know what that means. I could understand an enforced minimum setpoint separation but that is not what this is behaving like.

Wonder if that enables/disables that behavior.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    Thermo-on Status
    I believe this indicates if IDU is presently and actively either heating or cooling

Forced Thermo-off
    I believe this is like forcing a fan only mode and disabling both heating and cooling of that IDU

good luck.
    Should be easy to test, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post

Wonder if that enables/disables that behavior.
    Might not be a coincidence that point is reporting ON at the moment. Good idea.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

Post Likes
    Just remembered one other little odd thing about this system. The setpoint limit and differential points are marked out of service by default. For some strange reason I wasn't able to programatically write OFF to bacnet://deviceid/av:14/out_of_service, I got errors like write access denied etc in my program. I was able to go into our discovered points and turn them off there, which kept the new guy busy for a half hour or so. Might be an ALC issue but I've done that for Trane before and worked fine there.

I do like the concept of having hard limits on setpoint range in the Daikin BACnet as it eliminates a common request we get for VRF systems; we need a setpoint adjustment limit. Before this could only be done locally in each stat is my understanding, not remotely. Before we would have a valid range and if a user went out of bounds we would bump them back to whatever was allowed. That was confusing for the occupant because the stat literally changed behind their back. I'm assuming this new limit will show up on the stat, but need to test that.

Post Likes
    and the $50k question...

Does it stay online for more than a week without a power cycle?

8. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    and the $50k question...

Does it stay online for more than a week without a power cycle?
    Well so far haven't caught it down. This is an active construction site in a new building so I'm expecting problems. I stuck a LTE modem out there along with putting the site in our hosting environment so the system is very isolated, realistically just the two devices but I can work on it any time I want. That is just plain working and seems a regular medium building is going to use 500mb a month in data. More reliable and using less data than I anticipated.

Post Likes
    putting the site in our hosting environment
    What is this? Is it home brew or a commercial solution?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    What is this? Is it home brew or a commercial solution?
    Home brew. Centers around some VM's we put in our data center rack space and OpenVPN/Ubiquiti routers to pull it together.

Post Likes
    okay, sounds like fun,

Post Likes
    Home brew
    Not hipster enough. Microbrew infused with blockchain technology.

Post Likes
    Not hipster enough. Microbrew infused with blockchain technology.
    It's an artisanal tenant entertainer where the best work of Diffie and Hellman connect you to the darkest reaches of your gig space for an executive solution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast