Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Likes
    Very nice thread, thanks dear members for sharing your experience. It will be very useful for beginners to shape themselves.

Post Likes
    Got into HVAC at age 17 because I was tired of carrying bricks for a mason. The HVAC guys were the first trade on site that said they were hiring when I asked LOL. Anyway I lucked into a company that was willing to put me.through school at night while working and the rest is history. 30 years later at age 47 i opened my own business and am doing well with it but way more hours than I expected handling the owner/operator tasks both.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    And that's why I never went out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly's Service View Post
    Got into HVAC at age 17 because I was tired of carrying bricks for a mason. The HVAC guys were the first trade on site that said they were hiring when I asked LOL. Anyway I lucked into a company that was willing to put me.through school at night while working and the rest is history. 30 years later at age 47 i opened my own business and am doing well with it but way more hours than I expected handling the owner/operator tasks both.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    I got in business straight out of high school because that what my father did. Been doing ever since

5. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Sometimes I ask myself the same question

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I wanted to make big money and live high on the hog, so I chose to be a HVAC mechanic.

Post Likes
    I have been a licensed electrician for 50 years. Moved back to small rural home town 40 years ago wanting to be self employed. Realized this would require more than one trade.
    So learned plumbing and HVACR on my own from books.
    A very enlightening short try to include appliance repair.

The advantage doing multiple trades was that residential and small commercial owners only wanted to deal with one sub-contractor. Coordination of mechanicals was achieved.

Never ran out of work...only time to do it....one man shop most of the time.
    Kids and grandkids always had summer work...and actually learned a lot they can use later in life....if their 4 year college degrees keep them between jobs.

Then wanted hydronics in my own house. Started off in that additional direction.
    Then steam heat repair work was available. Studied the Dan Holohan books.
    Now could do only old boiler systems and stay busy...just have to travel more than wanted. These old small steam systems are the most interesting....figuring out how bad they were hacked up over the last 50 to 100 years has become a paying hobby.
    No younger person wants to even consider repairs...just tear it out and do FAF.

I just "cherry pick" my work now...."too busy and can't help you" here are some phone numbers you can call (young and hungry tradesmen).
    The only one man show who charges more than I do does nearly only commercial refrigeration.

Any young person who asks about what trade will hear this from me:
    Electrician....interesting...but after the building is done to today's standards you will probably not have any return work.
    Plumbing....same as electrician...and most owners think they can fix plumbing. If old building you may not want to work on it.
    HVACR....now it is guaranteed that you will have a steady customer.
    Homeowners are wimps when it comes to inside comfort...we want it NOW.
    Commercial refrigeration....we HAVE to have it NOW.

And both will pay accordingly.

Post Likes
    What's a FAF ?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Perhaps.... Forced Air Furnace.....

Post Likes
    I'm not smart enough to make assumptions.

Post Likes
    One qualified guy got me hooked
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgySLC8lfc

Post Likes

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456