Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did you get into HVAC?

Post Likes
    Good stories my friends. If you wouldve told me, that after 24 years I would still enjoy snapping together duct and weilding a pookie brush, I wouldve told you that youre crazy. But I still do!!!

Post Likes
    My dad didn’t like me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Vinnie_NJ, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvac View Post
    My dad didn’t like me

Hahaha, basically this sums it up for me too but I actually took a major interest in the field. And then the business aspect and sales with customer relations became more interesting and important to me

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I got into the trade through necessity. I took a job as a maintenance supervisor and with no experience in hvac, i had to call in professions for every problem concerning hvac. I watched the service techs and asked a lot of questions. This was expensive and I wanted to be able troubleshoot and solve at least some of the problems. I studied Modern Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Text and learned from techs that were kind enough to share their knowledge.

Post Likes
    My father was a plumber.His best friend was an electrician.I worked with my father when i was a little boy.i also helped his electrician friend a few times.i pulled wire for him in a few tight places, since i was small,(8 years old) I loved it, i got paid!!!!I liked working with them.i was around the trades from day one.When i was 14 years old,My father passed away from a heart attack.His electrician friend told me to go to school to learn a trade, he said just helping him was not enough.My fathers electrician friend then passed away when i was a senior in High school.I took his advice and went to Lincoln Technical Institute in New Jersey For HVAC,Been In HVAC ever since.Im now 61 years old.So ,I been doing HVAC for 40 years.DAMN!!Time flies.Lots of changes over the years.I can still remember R-22 costing $50.00 a drum.No one reclaimed.Let it all out!!!Anyway ,HVAC is my life.I still get up and climb ladders and change compressors and catch service calls .i hate the office.I'm slower on the ladder, but I will keep climbing,Until I can't do it any more.Then I will stay on the ground!!!

7. Likes Turtleman, captube liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    My father was a plumber.His best friend was an electrician.I worked with my father when i was a little boy.i also helped his electrician friend a few times.i pulled wire for him in a few tight places, since i was small,(8 years old) I loved it, i got paid!!!!I liked working with them.i was around the trades from day one.When i was 14 years old,My father passed away from a heart attack.His electrician friend told me to go to school to learn a trade, he said just helping him was not enough.My fathers electrician friend then passed away when i was a senior in High school.I took his advice and went to Lincoln Technical Institute in New Jersey For HVAC,Been In HVAC ever since.Im now 61 years old.So ,I been doing HVAC for 40 years.DAMN!!Time flies.Lots of changes over the years.I can still remember R-22 costing $50.00 a drum.No one reclaimed.Let it all out!!!Anyway ,HVAC is my life.I still get up and climb ladders and change compressors and catch service calls .i hate the office.I'm slower on the ladder, but I will keep climbing,Until I can't do it any more.Then I will stay on the ground!!!
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I was twelve yrs old and I shot my pellet gun at the neighbors RTU and blew the charge all over the roof. He knew it was me. But, couldn't prove it and of course I denied it. So with that said. I think God put me into this field as punishment for that mistake I made long ago,

10. Likes Turtleman, Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I remember this from way back, notice starting at 57 sec.

Post Likes
    Family business, just kind of grew up with it. I remember when I was a kid, my friends playing with transformers (megatron, optimus etc..) and I was playing with 40va transformers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Depot View Post
    Family business, just kind of grew up with it. I remember when I was a kid, my friends playing with transformers (megatron, optimus etc..) and I was playing with 40va transformers
    I was playing with 12K V transformers.

Post Likes
    Ive had the opportunity to open up some pretty large transformers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    One should NOT pursue HVAC only for the $$$...

This is a difficult trade, the most complicated... the most physical... the most mentally stressful...
    And the one that will break you if you do not take care of yourself.

IMO ONLY pursue a career in this trade...
    If you TRULY enjoy the work!

And it helps to have both a technical mind, as well as good diagnostics and technician skills, good electrical diagnostic skills... and good people skills (you will be dealing with people).
    I got into this industry because of the most important person in my life. My father. That was 45 years ago when he handed me a compressor and said wanna make $150? He showed me the fine points about evacuation,charging,welding and customer relations. I was 12 when I started using the tools. I had been his little helper for years. Dad was an oiler in the pulp mill and it was hard work hauling 5 gallon pails up flights of stairs. He did oil burners as a side business and got noticed by the mill manager who asked him to try for the air conditioning position. He was convinced to do it. Dad became foreman of the HVAC crew till he retired at 57. Kept working after retirement with his own business till he was 89 and health started failing. Had a 75 year old helper to do the bull work and he did the finesse.
    Dad always said,"If you love this job and you get paid well it's the best job in the world". He did it for 60 years. I still love my job after 45 years at age 57 and will keep going as long as the body holds up. BTW my screen name is an homage to my dad.Bill and his employee # was 161
    My father helped my nephew get started in the trade and get his ticket and own business. 3rd generation HVACR mechanic.

16. Likes icy78, trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    One of my earliest memories is of sitting on the kitchen floor in my parents kitchen when I was maybe 3 years old. I had noted that the back of the refrigerator was hot - but the inside was cold.

That seemed very very mysterious to my 3 year old brain and so I asked why / how that apparent oddity was possible.

The non-answer was apparently not acceptable to me so I set out to figure it out on my own. And, to a large extent, for all these decades, I have never yet given up on the quest to know all about how to answer that basic question.

PHM
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by asanta27 View Post
    1. Why did you get into HVAC?
    2. How old were you when you started and how did you start?
    3. How long have you been in the field and what do you do now?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Ha! I remember wondering why there was hot air coming out from under the fridge and asking about it! Don't remember my age, but my mom says that as soon as I got some toy tools I was taking things apart that she didn't know was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    One of my earliest memories is of sitting on the kitchen floor in my parents kitchen when I was maybe 3 years old. I had noted that the back of the refrigerator was hot - but the inside was cold.

That seemed very very mysterious to my 3 year old brain and so I asked why / how that apparent oddity was possible.

The non-answer was apparently not acceptable to me so I set out to figure it out on my own. And, to a large extent, for all these decades, I have never yet given up on the quest to know all about how to answer that basic question.

PHM
    -------------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill161 View Post
    I got into this industry because of the most important person in my life. My father. That was 45 years ago when he handed me a compressor and said wanna make $150? He showed me the fine points about evacuation,charging,welding and customer relations. I was 12 when I started using the tools. I had been his little helper for years. Dad was an oiler in the pulp mill and it was hard work hauling 5 gallon pails up flights of stairs. He did oil burners as a side business and got noticed by the mill manager who asked him to try for the air conditioning position. He was convinced to do it. Dad became foreman of the HVAC crew till he retired at 57. Kept working after retirement with his own business till he was 89 and health started failing. Had a 75 year old helper to do the bull work and he did the finesse.
    Dad always said,"If you love this job and you get paid well it's the best job in the world". He did it for 60 years. I still love my job after 45 years at age 57 and will keep going as long as the body holds up. BTW my screen name is an homage to my dad.Bill and his employee # was 161
    My father helped my nephew get started in the trade and get his ticket and own business. 3rd generation HVACR mechanic.

Post Likes
    I was working at a place and just had my furnace looked at. I made a comment, I wish just once a furnace guy would actually know what he was doing... instead of sitting there (the third guy) and saying I don't know what's wrong with it. Some Smart Alec was reading the paper and said, "why don't you go to School and fix it yourself?" I said if I could I would,,,,, and he says the college up the road has a night class starting next week.... and sure enough I was in it. That was 20 years ago. Still doin it. Still asking myself why on some jobs..... But basically I like figuring things out. And it's a different job every day. I'm still doing it, and my knees are asking why!!!

Post Likes
    1) Did my best to get a good job in my hometown without college. Worked for the city and kept getting laid off. Worked as a garbage man and kept scraping fences in tight alleys. Decided to get a trade, and they offered the HVACR at the local college. Had a family friend in the trade and knew the money was good, and you are seldom working at the same site for too long. Seemed good to me.

2) Started college at 27 years old. Had a long grind getting work experience early on. Finished school last year at 33 years old.

3) I have been in the trade for 7 years as of this month. The main thing I have learned is that I thought I knew a lot more when I left my 6 month foundation program than I actually knew in experience. Reading about things on paper is very different than being in the field and knowing how to apply that knowledge.

Post Likes
    1. I went into college right out of high school and hated it. My plan was to work in IT but there was way too much competition for me.
    2. I was 18 and a friend of mine got me job working for her father's company doing residential new construction installs.
    3. It's been 20 years and I am currently working as an assistant chief engineer for a large private university in NY

Post Likes
    A builder I use to cut grass for at his apartments during my high school days introduced me to a service manager of a refrigeration/AC company who was working on his office building. I was mechanically inclined, 17 years of age so the service manager offered me a job as an apprentice at about 75 cents an hour or so. That was in 1962. A service call was $8.50.

He also required me to go to Columbia Technical Institute for their 2 year HVAC/R course, which I did. Worked in the field for 2 years then got hired on at Johnson Service Company as an application engineer which set my future in HVAC and controls. Vietnam came along, ended up at a base that had tons of pneumatic controls & only me to work on them. Got discharged, opened my own business then ended up working for Honeywell selling, designing control systems of all sorts. Did a lot of work at places such as the White House, CIA, embassies, labs, hospitals & some secret places. It was great.

Fifty seven years later I'm still at it cept I specialize in trouble shooting - for the main part - to customers who have estates that have every sort of equipment possible. I still love it & mainly look forward to ever day...except for all the paperwork & rules, regulations that are being put in place to run small guys out of business. There is no other business like this business.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I worked for an apartment management company, and one morning my boss said, "we spend to much money on HVAC contractors, so your going to go to school to learn it and save the company money." My first thought was I dont give a rats butt about hvac. At the time i was doing side work building room additions and kitchens etc etc and loved it. I was like sure ill go if your paying but dont expect me to pick this up and be some hero to this company. 9 months later i really liked hvac but wasnt in love with it because i wasnt good at it. about 4 years go by with me in the field and i was starting to really enjoy the challenge and the learning that came with the field. While at the apartment company, I start my own business, build it and build it and build it all on the side (with the consent of the company. actually the company peps were my first customers) unitl it was time for me to leave.

started about 20-21, now 32.

Money, I make enough while not making enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast