Post Likes

Water leaking inside mini split maybe not the drain?

Hi so i had my minii split Gree for over 5 years and i did clean out the water drain line about 2 years ago. This summer it started leaking again but water is coming out of the drain line dripping fine. Plus i vacummed it out. So i went to investigate further and took off the cover. I ran it for 15 minutes and felt the drain hose not wet at all but i seen the coils on the upper right are wet and looked like it was going to start dripping.

Question is is the drain line still clogged somewhere or is it something else?

Post Likes
    Where, exactly, are you seeing signs of leaking?

Depending on the type of drain line material, I’ve seen situations where in very high temps and humidity, the drain line itself has condensate dripping from it.

In Houston, where I live, right about now in July/August AC units are in overdrive trying to keep up with triple digit heat index temps. They are running much longer and exposing flaws like dirty coils, dirty filters, and clogged drain pipes. Stuff that goes unnoticed when they are easily able to keep up.

Clean matters. A lot!

3. Likes zone709 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Hi yeah at first I thought the drain line was clogged, but its dripping out at the end of the drain line and I did put a shop vac at the end of drain line to suck anything out but nothing came out. The inside filters are clean but I didn't check the outside condenser. Maybe I need to spray that down and clean it? Not sure if that will help. I have the cover inside off and ran it like that I don't see leakage of water anywhere on the water drain pipe, but what I seen on the right top above the digital screen of the Gree is the coils being wet. They look copper if thats it. They are wet and as I was running it it was getting wetter. I think that's where its dripping onto the cover and collecting the water, but not sure.

I am just trying to figure out this before I call someone, because I can clean something myself. I don't know how this works. Can the copper coil be getting wet because the drain line may be clogged close inside before heading out? If so then I can take the drain line off and Vacum it right there or is it another issue? The air coming out is cold very cold. Not like its warm. I just don't know because I'm not a tech guy if the coils are getting wet because something is clogged close inside or my outside unit needs a good cleaning or a there is refrig problem.

Thanks for the response

Post Likes
    I believe you’ve done way more than most homeowners to help yourself. It’s time to call in a tech to take a look. But water damage can start to get expensive in a hurry.

There are numerous reasons that your unit might be misbehaving, the tech will have the tools to quickly pinpoint and resolve.

Just be sure to ask for a technician that has experience with your type of unit.

Good luck!

Post Likes
    ok before I do anything I am going to clean the outside of the unit and take the drain extension inside off from the unit and shop vac both lines. Ill run it after that and see what happens if it doesn't fix any issues I call a guy to take a look. I am very handy so I did all this to try and see if its a clog or a cleaning. The checking refirg stuff and so on I cant do myself. Thanks for your time again.