Post Likes

Highest known Tonnage Water Cooled Chiller

What is the highest known tonnage water cooled Chiller you have seen or heard of?

The largest I have seen is a picture (never seen in person) of a 10,000 ton YORK Chiller seen below.Name:  YORK 10,000 ton 2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  97.7 KB

From what I understand the largest machine Carrier manufactures is 5000 tonsName:  5000 ton chiller 4.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  197.1 KB.....Trane tops out @ 6000 tons.

The University of Texas at Austin has (3)-5000 ton TITAN Chillers at their plantName:  The University of Texas at Austin Chilling stn.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  603.9 KBName:  Univer of Texas chilling.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  612.5 KB

While pretty rare.... there are a few examples of even larger tonnage Chillers that were custom manufactured for extremely large cooling plants.....including the (7) 7000 ton YORK chillers that comprised the 49,000 ton capacity refrigeration plant of the original Twin Towers of the World Trade Center...as seen below Name:  WTC Refrig.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  179.5 KB

At the time of the trade center's construction (1970) This was the largest cooling plant for comfort air conditioning in the world!....and did not use any cooling towers....but instead utilized river water from the Hudson as the heat exchange medium to cool the condenser loop.

In another thread discussing the WTC Plant someone here stated that the Twin Towers Plant was NOT the largest but only a runner-up....apparently a food processing plant in AR holds the title of largest and uses NH3. I'd love to hear more about that system...

Another similar but (relatively) "smaller" plant in Albany NY serves the Empire State Plaza Complex and also utilizes Hudson River water to facilitate heat transfer of the condenser water loop. The plant has (5)-4500 ton Chillers to provide 22,500 tons of cooling capacity...as seen below.Name:  ESP6.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  128.3 KB Name:  ESP4.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  85.3 KB

Today the largest tonnage Chillers I know to be in operation are the (4)-8000 ton Chillers at the TECO (Thermal Energy Corporation) plant serving the Houston Medical Center. This may be the largest district cooling plant in the world today!Name:  TECO4.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  89.3 KBName:  8000 Ton TECO 2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  81.2 KBName:  TECO3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  112.7 KB

So back to my question....does anyone else know of any MASSIVE Chillers/large plants in operation today...?
    More specifically has anyone ever seen or heard of a larger tonnage Chiller than the 10,000 ton monster I first posted at the beginning of this post?!-Does a larger tonnage Chiller even exist?

I'd love to see any pictures you might have of 4000 ton + chillers.....and especially if you know of one larger than the 10,000 ton beast I initally posted!

Thanks.

2. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    The odd thing is that it doesnt look physically bigger than the other "tiny" units.

I did find this from 2017 but Im having a problem finding tonnage capacity:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300440126.html

Post Likes
    The Pacific Ocean...I wonder what its capacity. I know it’s not mechanical, but it is keeping the world cool.

5. Likes Fender60, HVAC_Marc, pecmsg liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    The Pacific Ocean...I wonder what its capacity. I know it’s not mechanical, but it is keeping the world cool.
    187,000,000,000,000,000,000 Gallons, or 187 quintillion gallons

7. Likes Pnasty liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    187,000,000,000,000,000,000 Gallons, or 187 quintillion gallons
    You’re just a wealth of knowledge, or just more willing to google it. Thank you sir.

9. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Some I know, that one I looked up.

11. Likes Pnasty liked this post
    Post Likes
    There are a couple of extreme Trane plants that I have heard of through internal releases. One of them, is the largest in Europe and cools the under channel crossing. I'll have to do some conversions to get the tonnage. The other is in UAE or Dubai. I will need to find that release and convert for tonnage. Both systems are pretty large.

Personally, the largest plants that I work in regularly are in the 6-8k ton range (total combined tonnage.)