Post Likes

Need help: Carrier AC - What could be the problem?

Hi,

My house has a HVAC Carrier system:
    - Control panel: Infinity
    - AC: 24ANB136A003
    - Furnace: 59TN6A

Starting about a month ago when weather started to get hot in NJ, AC failed to respond. I have checked a few web sites and also went through some simple diagnosis, but I wasn't able to find out the reason. The power is fine, the battery for the control panel is fine, the filter is fine, and the water pipe seems to be fine as well (I aim't 100% sure bout this though).

But I did have the following findings:

- If I turn off the power completely (from circuit box) and then turn it back on, the AC will run and will cool down according to schedules. This could work for 1-3 days.

- If I go to the hidden "Install/Service" menu of the control panel (by pressing "Advanced" button for 10 seconds), and then go to "Checkout" for a test run on AC, the AC will work. It will continue to work for maybe 1-2 days.

After those successful runs, the AC will then fail to respond again, even if the indoor temperature is 10+ degree higher then the set temperature.

Can someone please shed a light what could be wrong? Should I go and call a technician?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin

Post Likes
    Call a contractor

Do Not Go into the Instsllers Setup screen!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the message, although I am looking for more insights.

Clearly, calling a contractor is a safe choice. But I am trying to avoid taking a day off to wait for a contractor who needs only 5 mins to fix the issue which could easily be a DIY. There are a lot of experts here, so I hope I can get more insights what could be wrong. Personally, I always prefer DIY when possible. If the issue is more complicated Han I can handle, I will call a contractor.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Sorry kev, beyond checking the breaker and air filter, this site doesn’t offer diy advice. It’s actually listed in bright red at the top of the page.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kev10 View Post
    Thanks for the message, although I am looking for more insights.

Clearly, calling a contractor is a safe choice. But I am trying to avoid taking a day off to wait for a contractor who needs only 5 mins to fix the issue which could easily be a DIY. There are a lot of experts here, so I hope I can get more insights what could be wrong. Personally, I always prefer DIY when possible. If the issue is more complicated Han I can handle, I will call a contractor.

Thanks.

You asked if you should call a contractor. Yes, you should.

You must have also missed the big red banners and multiple warnings before you posted and when you signed up:

NO DIY ADVICE WILL BE GIVEN!!

Post Likes
    Kev

Once you screw something up in the installers list it makes it that much harder to repair.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the messages.

To clarify, I wasn’t asking for any DIY advice. I was asking for insights what could be wrong. Whether it will be a DIY item I will then try to make a judgement call based on my own ability. I don’t think this violated the forum rules.

Post Likes
    Good Luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    But I am trying to avoid taking a day off to wait for a contractor who needs only 5 mins to fix the issue which could easily be a DIY. There are a lot of experts here, so I hope I can get more insights what could be wrong. Personally, I always prefer DIY when possible.

This says DIY

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    But I didn’t ask for DIY advice. I was asking for info what could be wrong. If I know what could be wrong, I can then decide what to do next.

Post Likes
    But I didn’t ask for DIY advice. I was asking for info what could be wrong. If I know what could be wrong, I can then decide what to do next.
    This would seem to be an issue you would need to contact a qualified technician for, that is the only decision that should be made by the homeowner if they would like their equipment to work correctly in this case. By playing with the controls, and turning it off and on, you might be causing more issues for a tech to sort out later. Call a pro, or it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Post Likes
    Should I go and call a technician?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin
    Yes.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Call a company out that is familiar with Infinity systems before it fails to reset and leaves with no A.C. On a 90 plus degree day.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?