+ Reply to Thread

Thread: replacement: 3 or 4 ton? series 5 or 7 WF ?

Post Likes

replacement: 3 or 4 ton? series 5 or 7 WF ?

Hello

I need some outside advice before we Drop 20K on this.

basically our old mammoth system is 3.5 ton. its dying. Currently it is cooling "okay" but is not really dehumidifying, its running nearly constantly

current loop out = 96 current loop in =84 (st louis area, its hot right now) (IR on the metal parts 6 inches from my pumps)

3 companies, 1st only sells climatemaster.

2 sell water furnace this price are within $1000 to 2000 for the CM

2nd vendor
    one will not sell me a series 7, even the 3 ton, saying we don't have the loop for even a 3 ton unit. so they want to do 3 ton 5 series

3rd (this vender sell both CM and WF)
    (this vendor does the well drilling for geo in this area)
    one is recommending the 7 series 4 ton,

this thinking is our loops are 450feet and this makes with the current temps we are seeing the system
    (system was drilled in 1987 and 125ft per ton was used at that time vise the 150 now) 450/125=3.6 ton

the 4 ton unit can handle full load and since it variable will not have to run at the full 4 tons, except on the extreme hot/cold days

we can run on this for s year or 2 and if it keeps over running the loop we can dill new loops in a couple years at a cost of about $8K

the thought is a 3 unit will be undersized and run in stage 2 for a 5 series or full bore for the 7 and not really be efficient

house is 2500 sq feet, slab, single story

thoughts ?

Post Likes
    How do they know what size is required? Have any of them performed a load calculation? Have they measured how many GPM your loop delivers? Have they determined how many CFM the duct system can handle?

if they have not measured any of these things, they are only guessing.

Incidentally, your question for the Pros belongs in the ASK OUR PROS forum.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    why would you turbo a v6?
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    How do they know what size is required? Have any of them performed a load calculation? Have they measured how many GPM your loop delivers? Have they determined how many CFM the duct system can handle?

if they have not measured any of these things, they are only guessing.

Incidentally, your question for the Pros belongs in the ASK OUR PROS forum.
    one told me a heavy 3 one said 3.2 and the other recommended 4 ton.

they all recommend a 4 ton until we got more info on our loops .

all of them just looked at the return a supply

only one ask how many vents we have 15

Post Likes
    None of those things are answers to the questions.
    If the 15 vents are 6” ducts there MIGHT be enough air flow for a 3 ton system. They must MEASURE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    why would you turbo a v6?
    it ran 11.2 in the 1/4 and 7.0 in the 1/8 24 psi

the motors can run 8's if you have the cash / knowlege (about 50K for a entire setup) a couple 9 second cars were FWD sedans (GTP)

in fact a bunch of GN have been swapping those motors because there are so many of them gn parts are hard to find

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    None of those things are answers to the questions.
    If the 15 vents are 6” ducts there MIGHT be enough air flow for a 3 ton system. They must MEASURE!
    i have seen them in the attic, they are large (but have insulate around them) i would say they are about 10inches with the insulation

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo v6 camaro View Post
    i have seen them in the attic, they are large (but have insulate around them) i would say they are about 10inches with the insulation
    Not the physical size of the duct, the actual delivery of air volume both from and to the unit.
    A GSHP (ground source heat pump) if the air flow isn't right and I mean right, you're wasting your money, just go with air to air.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in