Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I played it from my laptop with the volume all the way up and my ear next to the speaker. It may be a sound that I cant hear, too. Im tone deaf to certain frequencies.
    It is there.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

2. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    It is there.
    I just cant hear it then. There's 5 specific frequencies I cant hear, most of them are high pitched.

A tech with an ultrasonic detector may be able to better pinpoint the source of the noise, too.

Post Likes
    It's hard to record with just an iphone. So, I played the video out of my TV with the volume up and recorded my tv

https://youtu.be/2wh2Mw7B5JA

They were up here today and now think it has something to do with the water line. For people who know heat pumps, does that make sense? They were very vague.

This isn't the only crazy noise I have in here - the other one isn't likely to be HVAC though who knows at this point. It's in the "hot air riser" and knocks constantly but they said it could "be from anywhere". Thanks. $3250 / month to be tortured by endless noise. I couldn't have made a bigger mistake on this place. I've never had an apt with so many problems in 20 years (or paid this much for one).

Post Likes
    You have harbor seals locked in your air handler.

It sounds like a fluid is being force past an obstruction. If there's a valve in there with a seat and washer, the washer could be loose, causing a noise like that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    You have harbor seals locked in your air handler.

It sounds like a fluid is being force past an obstruction. If there's a valve in there with a seat and washer, the washer could be loose, causing a noise like that.
    Valves in the process of opening and closing can sometimes make this noise too. Its not that uncommon on water sourced heat pumps.

7. Likes HVAC_Marc, Nuclrchiller liked this post
    Post Likes
    I can't figure out if it is a truly water-sourced system or not. My electric bill is higher than my 4 br house and I know I hear a compressor turn on and off. But there's some kind of water in there? My old high rise just had hot and cold water in pipes / chillers that a fan would blow over. That was legitimately just water. I don't have the slightest idea how this one works.

Thassel -would you say this is a "normal" noise? that's what I am having an issue with 1 maintenance person about (3 have said it's not supposed to be like that) - but 1 (who hasn't heard it - yet is in charge of everyone else) suggested briefly that I might just have to get used to it and it's normal. It's way too annoying to get used to. For example this is a particularly bad one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm1v-lCRsHg

It's all happening over my head in every room because this heat pump is connected to ducts that have vents in all the rooms. So, the noise travels everywhere, not just the hvac closet.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    I'd guess the source is a two way valve piped backwards.

You mentioned some work being done in back May. It's hard to believe this wasn't the result of or the objective of the work...and didn't work out.

Post Likes
    I'll mention these suggestions to maintenance on Monday. At a certain point, if it's not solved, I have to get a real HVAC person with heat pump experience in high rises. Jack of all trades maintenance staff haven't solved it in 3 weeks & it could just go on forever.

I asked about all the issues in May, and maintenance kind of got defensive - I guess because it would force them to admit they didn't fix the problem. They said the problem was that the owner complained that his electric bills were extremely high in Feb, so they removed it, put in a temporary unit, and then replaced it in May. The bills went back down, but the heat is gas anyway. Maybe it was something with the fan (I think the fan itself is electric). I don't know why a heat pump would cause such a high electric bill in a vacant unit in the winter. We don't have that much glass exposure like the modern glass and steel buildings. The whole place is a 1-br.

Thanks again for your help and listening to all my complaining. It's been kinda stressful.

Post Likes
    So the chief engineer *finally* heard it. I read what you guys wrote but he didn't have any response...

He wants to put one guy in the unit next to me (our ACs are back to back) and then have someone listen here. He says it can't be my unit because it doesn't happen when my unit is on. I said - isn't there always water flowing through & he said no not really...it's only when it's on does water flow... so what is happening is someone else's unit has some valve problem deep in the back or at the bottom (if they're above me) - and the noise is coming to my unit. He said he might have to test it 4-5 stories up. So, they're gonna contact the other unit owners around me now.

What do you think of his plan? The only weird thing (and I mentioned it) is that the noise is like 15-20 seconds and on and off - not really what would correspond to a blower. Blowers don't turn on for 15 seconds and then off for 10 seconds and back on. So, he said it's probably not the fan / motor - it's part of the operation in another unit but we have to be there in order to find out (I didn't totally understand this but that's basically what he said).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12