Post Likes

Milky white discharge from condensate drainage line?

Hi all -

I had a new Carrier split CAC system installed 6 weeks ago (2 ton condenser model 24ACC624A033 / air handler model FV4CNF002L00), and last week I noticed a dried white discharge at the exit of my down spout for the gutter that the pvc condensate line drains into. It hadn't rained for two weeks prior, so all water was from the condensate. I did a mirror-on-a-stick check of the gutter (I can't get on a ladder) and didn't see anything in there that would explain the white stuff.

My question is: is it possible this white stuff is actually coming from the condensate? I read that R-410A refrigerant is mixed with POE oil for lubrication and that this oil can absorb water and turn acidic so I am worried about a leak of this stuff from the coils in the air handler into the drain pan. Does this kind of thing happen? Is there another explanation?

The system is still cooling ok, and the condenser is reasonably quite when running, though it does turn on and off with what I think is an unusually loud "clank". I had a tech over two weeks ago (before there was any white discharge) and he said that it draws a lot of amps and that explains the noise. I wasn't too convinced. My previous 20 year old Comfort Maker system didn't make such a loud noise turning on and off.

Thanks for all advice,

- John

Post Likes
    Hi again! So, none of the experts here have any ideas about this? Am I nuts for thinking this is caused by an R410A refrigerant leak into the condensate drainage pan on the air handler in the attic?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    All kinds of funny things can grow in the condensate pan and drain. Also fine dust could get through the air filters, collect on the coil, wash off the coil and out of the drain pan, finally down the eaves drain.
    Soon you will know, if its a refrigerant leak it should be oily to the touch.
    keep us posted.
    What is the climate?
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    All kinds of funny things can grow in the condensate pan and drain. Also fine dust could get through the air filters, collect on the coil, wash off the coil and out of the drain pan, finally down the eaves drain.
    Soon you will know, if its a refrigerant leak it should be oily to the touch.
    keep us posted.
    What is the climate?
    Regards Teddy Bear
    and a combination of dust, dirt, roof shingles all laying in the gutter mixing with the water.

I see it quite often here.

Post Likes
    Hmm. In reply to both pecmsg and teddy bear: how oily to the touch? The water coming out and pooling slightly does seem to have an oily sheen on it but maybe I’m imagining it. Also, this did not start happening until about 4 weeks after the system was installed, and it never happened with my previous system. Plus, the white stuff doesn’t seem to scrub off, and when I moved the down spout, the white stuff reappeared in the new area. So far I don’t notice any change in cooling performance, and the climate here on Long Island, NY has been normal for summer: 75 - 95 with humidity from 50 to 90 %. Dew point this week is in the upper 70s. I keep the inside temperature set to 74 in the daytime and turn the system off at night.

Post Likes
    oily sheen and white goo is often the sign of bacterial growth.

a POE leak that big would leave a huge mess inside the coil box. have the tech check that.