Post Likes

Ink Jet Printers Are a Waste

Yeah, you already know that.

But how much of a waste are they really?

Could it be that they are worse than you ever imagined?

Got a sledge hammer?

Ink Cartridges Are A Scam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

2. Likes baby b liked this post
    Post Likes
    I didn't watch the video, but I never replace them when I get the warning. I wait for it to stop printing. I used to load my own, but nowadays, I hardly ever print anything. Maybe use 2 or 3 for the whole year.
    Uh...Google it yourself!

Post Likes
    I didnt watch the video. They are a waste, though. I stopped using ink-jet 20 years ago when I bought a 4 color laser printer. (BIG $$$ back then). A year ago I finally upgraded it, only because lightning burned out the power board. A set of 4 toner cartridges gets about 60,000 pages, with about 5% as full coverage pages (photos).

5. Likes Sooty liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but I never replace them when I get the warning. I wait for it to stop printing. I used to load my own, but nowadays, I hardly ever print anything. Maybe use 2 or 3 for the whole year.
    I think you might derive some benefit from watching it.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I didnt watch the video. They are a waste, though. I stopped using ink-jet 20 years ago when I bought a 4 color laser printer. (BIG $$$ back then). A year ago I finally upgraded it, only because lightning burned out the power board. A set of 4 toner cartridges gets about 60,000 pages, with about 5% as full coverage pages (photos).
    Yep lasers are the way to go. I only ever print documents and a black and white laser printer is only about $100. I bought one a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe how cheap it was I still thought of them as insanely expensive.

Post Likes
    Back when I bought mine it was $650. I upgraded it over the years to incorporate an internal image processing server (250$) and more memory ($325). $1225 total. Over those 20 years I replaced the toner cartridges once - $225 for all.

I had to buy a new comparable unit after the lightning strike here. As the old one wasnt made anymore I chose a similar one - $1175 (reimbursed by my 100% replacement policy). This one will probably last me forever. It already has every thing built-in that I had to purchase separately before, and more of it or more modern tech. Plus it has an internal hard drive for storing incoming jobs or keeping jobs that are repeated frequently.

It's really handy for printing out large 300+ page manuals. It'll do it duplex in minutes.

Side bar - I found another one of exactly the same kind as my old printer in the garbage. I picked it up and rebuilt it with parts of the burnt up unit and sold that for $50 on a Facebook buy/sell group. The rest of the stuff was traded in for scrap - motors, circuits, wiring, steel. A win-win-win!

Post Likes
    Good info. What a scam!

Post Likes
    A good alternative is using an ink jet printer with refillable ink containers instead of cartridges. I have an HP 5810 now since a year, which I use almost daily. Filled the containers up once, and did not have to refill yet.

The cartridges are a scam if I have ever seen one.

Of course if you really print a lot, a laser printer is the way to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    I think you might derive some benefit from watching it.
    I've heard about this years ago...
    I understand how the world works. This is the same with many products.
    I would've unplugged it b4 hitting it with a sledge hammer.
    Uh...Google it yourself!