Post Likes

Quotes for specific systems

Hey All,

I've been doing a lot of research and I have a few specific systems in mind that I want priced.

However, I'm not planning to get anything installed for at least a year (current system works, but is towards the end of it's lifespan and I want to be ready when it does) or when the existing system kicks the bucket, whichever comes first.

Now, I tend and like to be on the cutting edge with designs, technology and things that aren't the "norm", particularly for my area, I live in Southern California (Corona) so hydronic heating isn't common at all.

I don't want to waste any contractors time, but I also want to get accurate quotes so I know how much I need to save to purchase a system.

I want to get some pricing on a few options:

Ducted mini-splits
    MVZ-A24AA7 + MVZ-A36AA7 + MXZ-8C60NA
    or
    PVA-A36AA7 + PUZ-A36NKA7 and PVA-A24AA7 + PUZ-A24NHA7

Ducted heatpump with hydronic coil
    Firstco 24VHBQB and 36VHBQB with compatible compressors
    I have an HTP Phoenix light duty I would pair with this for heat

What's the best way to get quotes on a non standard system?

I don't want to waste the contractors time, but none of this equipment has pricing online and I can't make an informed decision on what I want to go with without that information. (or more importantly, immediately rule out due to costs)

Additionally, I don't think the Firstco air handlers are very common in my area so I'm not sure the average contractor would even know what these are.

P.S. I have an existing single zone 5 Ton AC with gas furnace that I want to split into two zones, upstairs and downstairs. Additionally I'll do a "proper" manual J before I actually purchase equipment. (I've done my own Manual J with HVAC-Calc because I was curious) The items above are just to "match" what I have and get a worst case scenario.

Post Likes
    Only real way is to have contractors come out and see what it will require to install what you want.

We don't do or allow pricing on this site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    So you want to purchase equipment online and then have a contractor install it for you?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Every install is a custom install!

That is why On Line reviews of equipment is worthless!

5. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    This is the kiss of death for a contractor, especially during the busy season. You want a price on something you may do sometime if you think the price is reasonable. How are they to plan for that. I think the better option would be to have them out giving them the upfront knowledge that the project will be down the road a ways and that you just want a quick ballpark number. the prices will probably change several times before you do it so why should they waste time when people need their services now. A close ballpark is all you need, not an exact price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Only real way is to have contractors come out and see what it will require to install what you want.

We don't do or allow pricing on this site.
    Yep, I've read the rules on that. I think my biggest fear is that I don't want to waste a contractors time for something that won't happen right away. I guess this is my real question, is it ok to get quotes for something I'm not planning on doing right away?

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    So you want to purchase equipment online and then have a contractor install it for you?
    Nope, that's not the intention nor was it ever stated, I'm just looking for quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    This is the kiss of death for a contractor, especially during the busy season. You want a price on something you may do sometime if you think the price is reasonable. How are they to plan for that. I think the better option would be to have them out giving them the upfront knowledge that the project will be down the road a ways and that you just want a quick ballpark number. the prices will probably change several times before you do it so why should they waste time when people need their services now. A close ballpark is all you need, not an exact price.
    Based on the reply I think you understand the best. I know full well that it's a waste of time for the contractor to come out and quote systems for a customer that's not intending to purchase right away, if at all.

So I'm looking for advice on how to solve the chicken-egg problem of needing more information to narrow down what system I want to put in.

Additionally, you're saying just being up front and telling them I'm looking for a ballpark number on these systems is good enough? I mean even if it's over the phone I'm fine with that kind of ballpark price, but from what I've been reading not a lot of guys do that. (But you don't know until you try I suppose!)

You mentioned busy season, I figure dead of winter and summer are the busy seasons for HVAC folks? The opposite months are slower?

I may just wait to quote until the off season, whenver that is, to get the quotes.

Post Likes
    Delete this -- duplicate post

Post Likes
    First forget your equipment choices. Most brands have similar products. Instead focus on features. What is it you want to accomplish, do that you can't do now. Focus there first. When you have all that figured out start researching contractors. Come up with a list of 6 you would want to work with, rate them most to least. Now call them and explain what you want when they are done. It is likely that not all will be interested, which is fine you only want those that are excited about it. Once you get three stop. More than that and you will just get confused from all the different ideas. Get your ballpark price from them. Be prepared they may tell you it will have different problems this is another good thing. Isolate the problems before you start.

I believe you will end up with a better result than if you try to get dealers to live with your equipment constraints with specific equipment that they are not familiar with. A good dealer knows the limit of the equipment they normally work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rnavarro View Post
    Yep, I've read the rules on that. I think my biggest fear is that I don't want to waste a contractors time for something that won't happen right away. I guess this is my real question, is it ok to get quotes for something I'm not planning on doing right away?

Nope, that's not the intention nor was it ever stated, I'm just looking for quotes.

Based on the reply I think you understand the best. I know full well that it's a waste of time for the contractor to come out and quote systems for a customer that's not intending to purchase right away, if at all.

So I'm looking for advice on how to solve the chicken-egg problem of needing more information to narrow down what system I want to put in.

Additionally, you're saying just being up front and telling them I'm looking for a ballpark number on these systems is good enough? I mean even if it's over the phone I'm fine with that kind of ballpark price, but from what I've been reading not a lot of guys do that. (But you don't know until you try I suppose!)

You mentioned busy season, I figure dead of winter and summer are the busy seasons for HVAC folks? The opposite months are slower?

I may just wait to quote until the off season, whenver that is, to get the quotes.