Thread: Is it okay to remove this from the DIY finished basement the prior owner added in

Post Likes

Question Is it okay to remove this from the DIY finished basement the prior owner added in

Hello,

Just bought a house with a partially finished basement in it.

Basement is rectangular shaped, with the finished portion taking up an 'L' portion of the space, and the unfinished side (where the heat pump and air system is located) taking up the remaining square portion of the rectangle.

The basement has 3 vents, 2 that are output vents and 1 that is an input (suction) vent. I curious if it would be okay to take out these 2 input vents?

The site doesn't allow me to post images lol (rules are awesome). But on the unfinished portion, they added this jerry rigged setup feeding 2 flexible shafts (made of plastic bag-like material) to the 2 output vents and duct tape. I'm just not sure if there would be issues taking out these shafts to free up the corner of the unfinished portion of the space.

Thanks for any help!

Post Likes
    Your question is confusing.

You said two output (supply) vents, and one input (return) vent... but you want to move the two input (return) vents...

Exactly what do you want to do?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by discovermypath View Post
    jerry rigged.
    Down south, we use a less politically correct term....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    haha awesome! definitely not the terms I used when I noticed the setup and happy there are still some folk who don't care so much about political correctness.

Post Likes
    sorry for the confusion. I wrote the post with the images at first, but then it wouldn't let me post with images so I had to go back and reword everything.

So I want to remove and seal off the output (supply) vents, leaving 1 return vent in the basement.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by discovermypath View Post
    sorry for the confusion. I wrote the post with the images at first, but then it wouldn't let me post with images so I had to go back and reword everything.

So I want to remove and seal off the output (supply) vents, leaving 1 return vent in the basement.
    No.
    Either leave at least one supply, or seal everything...
    But it may impact your system function.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    If you leave no supply vents in the cellar area it will create a negative pressure there. What will happen is that it will pull air from any other positive area - leaky ducts, the outdoors, the upstairs, etc.

If that's what you are trying to achieve, then do it.
    Nest is POO!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in